BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Speckle and Open BIM

bouhmidage
Advisor

Hi there ! 

Archicad has been introduced as a locomotive for Open BIM and IFC workflow, i can see now a very fast raise of Speckle, for data and geometry exchange between softwares, without loss, it try to converts elements to native geometries for each software, this platform integrates almost all the popular softwares in the market, 

Revit, Sketchup and Rhino have the most focus on development, it's strange to not to see ArchiCAD in the front of the development,

Speckle may be the future for collaboration and exchange, regarding the progress they did in theese few years, who knows, 

This thread is for you to exchange, discuss about this platform and the experience of anyone used it as experimental or in a real work ! 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
27 REPLIES 27
scottjm
Advisor

I understand the integration with archicad is still in its infancy. But what I have seen it looks like it has alt of potential. Almost like another tier of teamwork with external consultants. 

I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has started or trialing its use yet?

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
gavinNZz
Advocate

This is the future of interdisciplinary workflows where the central system (in this case Speckle) can read and write to all systems in the market. GS seem hell bent on doing it all itself which just isn't how the industry will evolve. I believe AC still has a place in this ecosystem but more as a part of it, as opposed to all of it! The sooner GS realize this the better because if they leave it too late they will miss the train entirely.

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!
mthd
Ace

It looks promising. Here is a link to the Speckle road map concerning the Archicad connector and there is a short clip as well.

https://speckle.systems/blog/archicad-connector-roadmap/

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Speckle is awesome! I use it regularly to exchange models between AC and SketchUp. But the AC-Support is really poor, because the Open-Source-Community only cares about Revit. Especially the exchange between Rhino and Revit with the posibility to map elements from Rhino to native elements in Revit is mindblowing. A similar function between AC und Revit would end the endless discussion which one to use and would break down the system-barrier.

Mjules
Mentor

It has been for a long time since Graphisoft and its parent company talked about Open BIM, Open BIM. We had to wait for Dimitrie Stefanescu and his team to start materializing it. The time had come for action. 

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

we've been experimenting. So far, the obstacle has been a lack of survey point support. Rhino doesn't use one and there are differences of opinion among our collaborators about using Project north and turue North. 

This makes federating models a bit bothersome. At least in Revizto, there is a displace command to make adjustments to model locations if the team can't sort it out themselves.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
scottjm
Advisor

I saw this post on LinkedIn that showcase what is possible.  Looks pretty exciting.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/airc-world-llp_openbim-02-speckle-bim-data-streams-ugcPost-7167852295...

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

This roadmpa needs a little updating. As of connectors release 2.18 the ArchiCAD connector came out of alpha.

I understand the integration with archicad is still in its infancy
 But the AC-Support is really poor, because the Open-Source-Community only cares about Revit. Especially the exchange between Rhino and Revit with the posibility to map elements from Rhino to native elements in Revit is mindblowing. A similar function between AC und Revit would end the endless discussion which one to use and would break down the system-barrier.

These are both partially correct. We have a way to go before the ArchiCAD connector is on par with Revit-like, but we are concentrating on the areas of development we hear from the community

It is also true that we hear more from revit users.

The Mapper initiative is not limited in ambition to just Rhino Revit / Sketchup Revit, but that's where it has stood again based on what we hear at speckle.community.

Speckle is a fully open-source stack and while we are open to code contributions this is, we know, a daunting task for most. Nevertherless, contributions of described workflows, any scraps of models for test-cases are also priceless for us to speed development.

Jonathon

Head of Advocacy - Speckle

My post was not a criticism of Speckle, but a criticism of Graphisoft. With Speckle there is a low hanging fruit for interoperability with other systems (especially Revit) but Graphisoft integrates a Revit exporter that can do nothing and delivers nothing reasonable.

Graphisoft has forgotten to think outside the box and loses itself in marketing instead of delivering real innovation.

As already written: if Graphisoft would put two or three developers on the Speckle plugin, something really big could be created within a short time that would break down the system boundaries and create real competition between the big providers.

But maybe the management is just afraid of Autodesk ...

Learn and get certified!