BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Dimensions in v25 so sluggish that I cannot work.

AmyRo
Contributor

I was working just fine and I'm not even sure what happened.  I was dimensioning and all the sudden it got so sluggish that I could no longer dimension.  I get the blue circle of death every time I click on the dimension icon.  Once that is going, I can't do anything in the file until I get off the dimensions completely.   I cannot figure out what is going on and I can't find any helps that resolve this.  I have worked through getting missing files resolved and duplicates out of the library.  There is no embedded library and the file is super small now.  I have no idea what's causing this.  I even went through updates on my video card.  Any suggestions as I'm at a standstill now.  Other files I open seem to work just fine.  Even the file I saved as to start this project with is working fine.  I'm not sure what I've done.  I also copy & pasted my project into another file and saved as to see if it would resolve it.  And closed and reopened the file after and did the "open & repair" but that didn't fix it either.  I've rebooted multiple times.  Nothing fixes this.  Again, it's only this file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Okay, after looking at all of the advice, I went to my site plan which has the floor plan in it and was also affected but had very little layers on.  It appears to be connected to a few things on my Archicad layer that I had dropped some objects in and they were on that layer unintentionally.  I put them on another layer that is off and it's working fine now.  As soon as I turn that layer on (where I put them), it does it again.  So, I'm wondering it is the objects then?  I mean, I can live with that layer off while I work and only turn it on when I finalize but it would be good to know what's going on.  Well, thank goodness that is what is was because I was contemplating quitting architecture when as I worked on this for hours on end with no solutions to be found online.  🤣

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
scottjm
Advisor

I had a similar issue in 26 and it turned out it was a railing object causing it. Once that layer the railing was on was turned off it went back to normal. Could be that?

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

AmyRo:

Here is a thread about this issue: Sizing running slowly.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

That's not it.  I had a very short railing and I just deleted it altogether then I got out of the file and did and open & repair and it's still doing it.  In that process I figured out it's happening on my 1st floor Plan but not my second floor (which includes my electrical plans - 1st floor sluggish & unable to dimension, second floor is fine).  My site plan is also affected with the most of the layers turned off except for the slabs.  

Solution

Okay, after looking at all of the advice, I went to my site plan which has the floor plan in it and was also affected but had very little layers on.  It appears to be connected to a few things on my Archicad layer that I had dropped some objects in and they were on that layer unintentionally.  I put them on another layer that is off and it's working fine now.  As soon as I turn that layer on (where I put them), it does it again.  So, I'm wondering it is the objects then?  I mean, I can live with that layer off while I work and only turn it on when I finalize but it would be good to know what's going on.  Well, thank goodness that is what is was because I was contemplating quitting architecture when as I worked on this for hours on end with no solutions to be found online.  🤣

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I would not rest until the cause of the slowdown is found and eliminated.

You should isolate the exact Object or Objects causing this and either remove them, explode them to turn them into 2D only elements or delete and redo them, see if any of these help solve the issue.

You already know which later the cause of the slowness is located on. The way you can isolate an element is you can create a new layer, display only that, and place half of the elements you put on the hidden layer earlier onto this layer. If it causes a slowdown, the problematic elements are located on the visible layer. You can do this halving method over and over until you isolate the element and them you can handle it. by one of the above steps.

There may be more than one elements.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon

File slow down checks with site plans:

• When the problem is a Site Plan one of the first things to try is to change the intersection number of the Layer for the Site.
  • Another is to never use slabs for anything site related since that forces AC to check for intersections between the site and every single element that it touches.
  • Select the Site and check how many SEOs it has.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!