BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to get the right rough opening for a pocket door?

BradJAllen19
Booster

Hi everyone,

I've got a burning question which we've been using a workaround to address but I feel should have a solution that is looking me in the face we've just been missing.

I work for a home builder and from time to time customers want pocket doors in their house.  AC has pocket doors which look good in plan and function as you would expect except for one very important detail.  The wall hole dimension ends up being the leaf size as opposed to the actual rough opening of the pocket door.  I'm not sure about the rest of the world but in North America a pocket door comes with a kit where the actual opening in the wall is two times the door leaf plus 1 inch and there are wood slats which are used to fasten gypsum board as part of the frame kit so the finished opening you see is what AC is saying the opening is.

This becomes a problem when scheduling rough openings and dimensioning opening centers for the framers that are building walls.  As seen in the image below, there are no nodes either at the end of the pocket frame (which is the correct size but not able to be dimensioned) or at the center of the actual opening of the pocket door assembly.

BradJAllen19_0-1697553490345.pngWe've been drawing a very faint line at the center of the real opening to put our center dimension to and creating a separate schedule just for pocket doors so we can input the rough opening manually.  This opens us up to errors if the door moves and the center line isn't moved with it or just a typo in the schedule.

Has anyone come across a way to fix this issue?  It would be nice if Graphisoft added a new line for the rough opening and the finished opening that could be scheduled independent of one another that would be amazing.  Or if there is a third party which has made a pocket door with these functions that could work as well.  Nobody here has coding knowledge so making our own GDL object won't work for us. 

Brad Allen
Designer
Ironwood Manufactured Homes Inc.
Archicad 26
Windows 10
3 REPLIES 3
AllanP
Advocate

In Oz we have a similar problem, we have different installation options for the door as well, flush pull and flush jamb.

AllanP_0-1697583542188.png

so we had to build our own cavity slider door object to make it work.

AllanP_1-1697583599641.png

AllanP_0-1697584069159.png

I have been using ArchiCAD continually since ArchiCAD 4.5, 4.5.5, 5, 5.1, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 22, 25, now testing 27
Member of Architalk since 2003, but missed the migration to Graphisoft.
(where have all my original posts gone?)

At least I'm not alone in this problem. Does your object have a node at the center point of the opening or do you always measure the full opening width on your plans?

Brad Allen
Designer
Ironwood Manufactured Homes Inc.
Archicad 26
Windows 10

We measure the offset of the opening from corner/wall.

I just showed you that the hotspot for the cavity gives the overall unit opening size for the cavity slider system, to ensure that it will fit.

Nothing worse than a user putting a cavity door in that can not be installed in the wall.

There is a node in the middle of the opening, because at one point we did dimension to the center of the opening. this has now change, as we want to ensure the architraves will fit around doors, so we changed to the edge.

I have been using ArchiCAD continually since ArchiCAD 4.5, 4.5.5, 5, 5.1, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 22, 25, now testing 27
Member of Architalk since 2003, but missed the migration to Graphisoft.
(where have all my original posts gone?)
Learn and get certified!