BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Interior elevations - showing section lines in prints

TimoRy
Contributor

Hello,

Me and my colleague did some digging and thus far came to a conclusion that it is impossible to make interior elevations section lines visible to print same way as with basic elevation tool? I'd very much prefer if we were wrong about this but only advice regarding the lines visibility seems to be dealing with working view settings for the marker.

So my question is is it possible to have printable section lines in interior elevations groups? Please see the images for reference.

Second if not with the standard simple marker as used in the examples does someone know if an interior elevation object with said property exist somewhere? Availability? 

Any help much appriciated. We are using AC26, build 5002.

Section lines in model.

Model content elevation lines.JPG

Non-existent section lines in .PMK print.

Layout-no lines.JPG

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Sunny75
Booster

It is very annoying, but as far as I know it is impossible to generate visible interior elevation lines; @GRAPHISOFT  please make this possible.

View solution in original post

Solution
4dProof
Advisor

one possible work-around would be to use section markers instead of I/E or Elevation markers; set it to "Built-in Section Marker", which gives a setting for "Marker Head in the Middle", and shows the cut line as an extension of the marker.

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 9.47.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 9.47.51 AM.png

  

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

Solution
4dProof
Advisor

IME, the zone auto text to i/e marker only works about 60-70% of the time. It's a neat idea, but it's so inconsistent, I rarely bother with it any more. Same with the "detect and fit to zone" feature. These features only work if your reference lines are all ideal, the zone boundaries are always perfect, rooms are only ever 4 sided, etc. etc.

I have worked on a handful of campus projects about that size. The pmk workflow does work for some people, but I've always found it to be a slower and more tedious process... I remember having to use this back in AC9 or 10; and am happy to no longer need it.

Anyway; the only other suggestions I have are a custom scripted marker or a drafted line grouped to the marker

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

8 REPLIES 8
Solution
Sunny75
Booster

It is very annoying, but as far as I know it is impossible to generate visible interior elevation lines; @GRAPHISOFT  please make this possible.

TimoRy
Contributor

Thanks for the  confirmation. I'm going to sit on that Solution - button for a while to see if we can draw Graphisoft's attention to this... 😉

Solution
4dProof
Advisor

one possible work-around would be to use section markers instead of I/E or Elevation markers; set it to "Built-in Section Marker", which gives a setting for "Marker Head in the Middle", and shows the cut line as an extension of the marker.

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 9.47.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 9.47.51 AM.png

  

Thank you for you proposal.

While this would be likely workable option in other, smaller context the reason we opted for the interior elevation was the option to use automatic naming via zones that doesn't seem to work with seperate elevations? This is large project (over 50000 m2 ) and we will be producing hundreds of room layouts with likely 2000+ elevations. While you can manage separate elevations en mass the IE seems more efficient/managabler in the respect as modifying group properties (naming/properties) automatically conveys changes to relevant sections at the same time. 

This also tied to seperate printing file using PMK-references where accuracy with naming is essential and eliminating human error as much as possible in the process is always a plus.

Solution
4dProof
Advisor

IME, the zone auto text to i/e marker only works about 60-70% of the time. It's a neat idea, but it's so inconsistent, I rarely bother with it any more. Same with the "detect and fit to zone" feature. These features only work if your reference lines are all ideal, the zone boundaries are always perfect, rooms are only ever 4 sided, etc. etc.

I have worked on a handful of campus projects about that size. The pmk workflow does work for some people, but I've always found it to be a slower and more tedious process... I remember having to use this back in AC9 or 10; and am happy to no longer need it.

Anyway; the only other suggestions I have are a custom scripted marker or a drafted line grouped to the marker

I can agree the IE works sometimes in mysterious ways but so far it has been a minor inconvinience and I hope it stays that way. 

We opted the .PMK model to lighten the work models, for ease of document management and allowing to "outsource" the printing to assistants and  it seems to work ok. 

But  my original question has been definitively answered so thank you everyone for your input and we try to live with the decissions we've made.

4dProof
Advisor

I did just figure out you can add a line2 parameter to the 2d script of the ootb i/e marker(s). But since those have so many macros for their interface, it's virtually impossible (for my limited abilities) to get it to show up in the interface. So it would be a fixed parameter... unless you have the gdl skillz to script it with stretchy 2d hotspots

Thanks. I don't have GDL skills either, but I do have access to a dude who is rather skilled. I'll ask him.

Learn and get certified!