BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Label text tool linked to fill?

Anonymous
Not applicable
A coworker and I just discovered a weird quirk in ArchiCAD v19. It probably happens in other versions too, but this is the one that we were working in.

Let's say you draw a fill that resembles grass. Your next step may be to label that fill. You label the fill with the label text too and place the point directly on the fill. Once you place the starting point on the fill, it links the text to the fill. If you delete the fill, the text gets deleted too. But if you delete the text, the fill remains unharmed.

Two questions:
1. Why does this happen?
2. How do I turn it off, if I can?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Eduardo Rolon
If you don't want it linked then you need to use the regular Text Tool instead of the Label tool. The label is linked to the object so when you delete the fill the label has no reason to exist so it is deleted too and since the inverse is not true that means when you delete the label then the fill stays put.

If you want to keep using the Label tool then the procedure is not to click on the fill when you place it. This type of label then is independent and you will need to add the information manually.

The reason this changed in 19 is that the Label tool was reworked then so this is by design.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is not a quirk, it is by design.
In the Info Box, to the right of the Layer Selection button you find the Geometry method button, with two options: Associative and Independent.
If you don't want the Label to be deleted when the labeled element is deleted, use the Independent method.
The Associative method is needed when you want the Label to display a parameter or property of the labeled element.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!