Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Level dimension markers in RCP

Anonymous
Not applicable
This has been asked here before, years ago, I'm hoping it has been updated:

I wood like to dimension my reflected ceiling plan with the level dimension tool in the reflected ceiling plan but the tool gave me the top of my ceiling (slab).
I need it to measure to the bottom of the ceiling.
Any Help?

The last time this was answered in 2008, this was not an option but there was mention that it would be fixed. Does anyone know if this has been updated in the last 7 years?
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Workaround using a label by James Murray from 10 years ago:

http://www.onland.info/archives/2005/05/slab_elev_jm9_l.php

usage:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=38055
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Bill
Contributor
Another option is to "label" the slab.

I use Dimension Label 18 as the label for the ceiling slabs. In its General Settings it can be set to return a number of different values... object ID, volume, SF, etc. I set it to show elevation.

Just remember to check whether the reference line of the slab is set the way you want it (top or bottom of the slab).

Bill
Bill Szustak RA

Principal, Springboard Design

ArchiCAD 25, macOS Ventura 13.4.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bill,

I tried the label option with mixed results. It works well enough for a slab, but there is no option for a mesh or roof, particularly when trying to account for varying elevation points. Those seem to be the most desirable.

Thanks for the idea though.

Karl,

This seemed promising, but again only seems to work with slabs, and with extreme limitations as well.

I really need something that works like the weighted level dimension marker in plan for RCP.

I attached a quick render of a house I'm working on that as you can see, would benefit from this type of tool.

Any other ideas?

Dave
living 2.jpg
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Graphisoft giveth, and Graphisoft taketh away...

Prior to ArchiCAD 18, we used to use the Level Dimension Tool for ceiling height, and we would either draw the slab intentionally too low so it would show the desired height (which means the model is inaccurate), or override the text (which could result in disparities). Generally, we used the checkerboard target symbol.

In ArchiCAD 18, our problems were solved with the Label "Dimension Label 18", which FINALLY read the BOTTOM height of a slab (which is what we want for ceilings). This was really a great object, and I changed several our graphic standards to utilize it (since it could not be made to look like the Level Dimension Tool). For ceiling heights, we settled with the text in an ellipse.

Alas, as we got into ArchiCAD 19, the complete overhaul of the Label Tool, and all of the Label objects, this was discarded. The replacements are a little less than satisfactory. The new Dimension Label 19 is totally different, and there is no longer an option to show the bottom of a slab, but "height" doesn't seem to work on slabs at all (I get "no content defined"). In addition, the ellipse shape is gone.

Apparently, the solution is a new "Ceiling Slab Elevation Label 19". This Label does the job, but isn't very pretty. There are only 2 appearance options, and none have a frame shape. The target appearance is probably the better, but it's limited: It can't be any smaller than the text size (I use 7 point text, and the 7-point symbol is HUGE), and the target is just a crosshair, and cannot be a checkerboard, so it looks just like some of our lighting symbols. It's graphically too vague to use most of the time.

Since RCP's are so crowded, we have 2 criteria for a ceiling height symbol: SMALL and DISTINCTIVE. For now, I've just created a copy of the Dimension Label 18 into our AC19 custom library.

Though either of the Labels could be repaired to do what we need and look good doing it, I still believe that the best solution would be to add a simple check box option to the Level Dimension Tool: link to BOTTOM of slab (or any other object) rather than the top. This would also work great for spot elevations on sloped ceilings.

Any other recommendations would be welcome.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB