BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Lineweights: Display versus Output

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a reason why lineweight is ignored? I adjusted my pen weight for pen #201 to 3mm - I need a bold line for graphics purposes - but when I place the drawing on a layout and publish as PDF, the lineweight is lost!

Does anyone know why?
19 REPLIES 19
Erika Epstein
Booster
sounds like your view might have been saved when hairlines was active
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
TomWaltz
Participant
Hairline and True Weight only affect what you see on-screen, not what prints. Archicad always prints with true weights (unless you override it in the Plot/Print menu).

Most likely you are editing the pen weight in a different pen set than what is assigned to the view on your layout. Check to see which pen set you have assigned to the view on the layout.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
The layout is assigned with the correct Pen Set.

Erika - how do you mean - "with hairlines" ? Where is that setting?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I notice when I am viewing the layout, select the drawing and open the settings window - under Pens, I select "View the Drawing's own Pen Set". In this window, it shows the Pens used. Is this just for the layout book itself, and NOT the placed drawing within it?
Erika Epstein
Booster
View>on screen view options

You can toggle between Hairlines and Trueweights. Many of us use the shortcut key 'H' for this.

In the settings box for the drawing, If COLORS: is set to 'Defined by Pen Set' then the pen set assigned to the drawing will be that under PEN SET. In the screen shot the pen set applied to this drawing for printing is called 'Arch Pens Black'.

Can you post the same screenshot with your settings?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Erika Epstein
Booster
forgot screenshot and can't seem to add it to original post
Drawing pen assignment.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Karl Ottenstein
To clarify (or make your head spin further) - the pen set for the layout has nothing to do with the pen set for the drawing...which MAY have nothing to do with the pen set for the view upon which the drawing is based. The pen set for the layout is the one that will be used to display any linework/etc drawn on the layout.

To see what pen set the drawing is using, select it as you have and go to the settings dialog as advised by others.

When you drag and drop a view onto a layout, the current settings for the Drawing Tool determine the initial penset, title, etc.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
forgot screenshot and can't seem to add it to original post
OK Here are some images that explain things.... this is the result - no bold lines - this is how it appears on the layout AND when I print the page on paper.
image1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another Image... this is the view showing real line weights 'on-screen'...
image2.jpg
Learn and get certified!