BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Looking for a way to have different layout books

Rick Thompson
Expert

This might be unavailable in AC, but a need I have none the less.  The context is I am trying to make my business more user friendly for help not skilled in AC.  I have around 400 different PLN's I maintain and regularly send out PDF sets.  Essentially I send out 2 versions, on "for subs" marked "not for construction" and on "Permitting" without that statement.  Presently I have to seal my plans in NC, but that will end eventually.  They also need a "licensed to" filled in which is via auto text.  So, basically this is book publishing on demand in a few variations of each.

One solution is to simply save PDF sets of each, but the limitation is when something changes (say with a code date), they will not auto-update. (In AC all that info, including details is linked in an external file, so easy to change things).  The "licensed to" can be added in a PDF editor, as well as my seal when needed, so that is doable.  A code date could be changed too.

The cleanest solution would be to have duplicate Layout Books for each situation and set up in Publisher as different Sets.  Then someone (like my wife etc) could easily navigate to that and click and be done, no layer to deal with.  But, I can't find a way to have a Publisher set of the Layout Book with different layer combinations, and you can't have more than one Layout Book it seems.

Am I missing something, is this possible?  Thanks for any suggestions. I think making hundreds of PDF set is in my future.  There's a advantage to that too in that AC would not be needed at all.  I would also be exporting a DWG file as some people buy those.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

You can tell each subset to start at 1 again

AllanP_0-1691477278856.png

that is the solution we use for contract and estimating sets.

Sub sets are your friend...

I have been using ArchiCAD continually since ArchiCAD 4.5, 4.5.5, 5, 5.1, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 22, 25, now testing 27
Member of Architalk since 2003, but missed the migration to Graphisoft.
(where have all my original posts gone?)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

the explanation to the context seemed difficult to read -- but perhaps it's different to how we mark drawings (here in australia).

unless i'm jumping the gun, you want to have 2 sets of layout books (as originally mentioned) where they have different Transmittal details & possibly some slight variation with the Drawing Master depending on the stage of the project that the drawing is in & who's receiving it?

i was going to suggest exporting the drawings from the model file into PMK files & import them into the 2 separate PLNs, each with their own Layout Book & Transmittal Details, this way, you can update as much as you want with the model file & publish the changes into 2 separate Layout Book PLNs with whatever project stage markings you need to show.

but you're already working with 400 PLNs to begin with. what i don't understand though is: do you have to be actively working on the 400 at the same time? or are you using the 400 PLNs as a template, grabbing 2 or 3 different ones for each client (4 / 6 Layout Book files) & put them into a separate project folder & never having to touch / edit the original 400 to begin with?

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

I sell stock house plans, and "sort of" retiring and my grown kids will be sending out the plans.  It is an effort to simply so creating more files is not the direction I am aiming 🙂  They are basically static files except for adding to the plan who it is licensed to, and occasionally needing to update a few things, mostly code related (codes here are updated every 4 years or).  Most states do not care what it said "conforms to", but NC (North Carolina) does. NC required them to be sealed/stamped since I an an "architect".  Other than that, in the US house plans do not need to be sealed (well New Jersey).  I might just let my registration go, but in North Carolina it does help a plan reviewer approve a plan.  So it's not 400 plan at the same time, but most days I send out a plan, so they all do come around eventually.  It's actually around 200 plans, but most have a basement version so a different pln for that.

Thanks

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Barry Kelly

You can only have one layout book per file, but you can create as many layout subsets as you need.

Each subset can contain the same or different views to each other.

For example I have 'Sketch drawing' set that use views showing a simplistic sketch plan and elevations with reduced annotation layers.

And then I have a 'Working drawing' set that uses views for construction documentation.

I then have publisher sets for each and publish what I want when I want it.

BarryKelly_0-1691371596032.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Rick Thompson
Expert

Thanks for the suggestion.   I had tried that, and while it could work it would be a lot of work to get done what I need so so many plans.  Sub-sets change the sheet numbers (when set to auto) and to individually manually change those back w/out the prefix etc would be more than I am up for.

Thanks

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Solution

You can tell each subset to start at 1 again

AllanP_0-1691477278856.png

that is the solution we use for contract and estimating sets.

Sub sets are your friend...

I have been using ArchiCAD continually since ArchiCAD 4.5, 4.5.5, 5, 5.1, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 22, 25, now testing 27

Also if you want auto text to say page 1 of 15 for the sub set 1 or page 1 of 7 for subset 2,

you have to a different master for each subset so you can have auto text for total number of layouts in that subset.

Insert autotext -> Number of layouts in subset -> Subset name

AllanP_0-1691532728425.png

they have made it easier since Archicad 20 to do this.

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

If you can teach them how to make a transmittal set, you could use the transmittal set scheme for an autotext field that only needs to filled out or not:

ErwinEdel_0-1691654230050.png

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!