BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Relink drawings in bulk

SZSZ
Contributor

Hello, we insert a lot of PDF and DWG as drawings in our project files. It is common to move the whole project folder (where all the PDFs and DWGs are) to another path in the server. The drawings now appear as Missing. Everything makes sense. In older versions of Archicad (until Archicad 23) you where able to use de "folder relink" icon and relink all the missing drawings just by choosing the new root folder (where all the files are), and Archicad searched them inside that folder, even if they have differtent paths. It seems that this workflow is broken in Archicad versions 24, 25 and 26 as you have to choose manually each folder or file for every file to relink them. Before it was very easy to relink external drawings (PDFs, DWGs,...) in bulk, now it is a nightmare if you have large number of drawings to relink. Please make this procedure work again (or maybe I am doing something wrong). Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly

If you go into the Drawing manager and select those files, do you have an option to "read from..." ?

Then you can select the main folder that contains all of your files and that may work.

BarryKelly_0-1696324533770.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
SZSZ
Contributor

That's my workflow, but only works if the files are in the same folder. Before I was able to select all the files in the same "root project folder" and Archicad searched in the subfolders for the missing files. Worked like a charm and now it doesn't.

Drawings have a setting for relative or absolute file path.

Does this make a difference (possibly not).

BarryKelly_0-1696385124145.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I have tried changing this setting, doesn't make any difference.

All I can suggest then is to sort the drawing manager list by file path.

Select all those with the same path and use 'read from' on just those files.

You will need to repeat for each different path of course.

If some files are in the same folder there will be a slight advantage.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you Barry, that's my current workflow. It's the best I found so far. Hope Graphisoft fixes this issue soon. Thank you for your interest.

@SZSZ wrote:

Hope Graphisoft fixes this issue soon.

You will need to report it to your local support.

Just because it is mentioned here in the forum, does not guarantee the Graphisoft will read this and add it to their list of things to do.

But a request through support channels at least means it is in the system.

Still not a guarantee it will be done, but you might get a response if it can or can't be done.

And at least then you can follow it up through support (i.e. keep on their back about it).

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you for the advice, I reported it when Archicad 24 came out, because it was the first version where the relink didn't work, but no news since then.

BIMadmin80
Booster

This is a horrible regression, makes migrating projects to new hardware a nightmare. How can a bug like this go unfixed for years?

Learn and get certified!