BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Rotated (in elevation) Section Line

VGDD
Contributor

Is there a way to rotate a section line so it doesn't cut through the model at 90° but at an angle so it cuts through the roof at 90°. This would then enable a detail to be called off through the parapet that shows the correct sizes and therefore dimensioned accurately.

rotated section line.jpg

Archicad 11 - 27
Windows 11 Home

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
32.0 GB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

Section are always vertical.

You could place a marquee where you want the section and view in 3D.

Then use 'Look to Perpendicular' tool to rotate the 3D view perpendicular to the cut roof surface.

Then save as a 3D Document where you can add annotation.

Barry.

EDIT.

This only works if there is a surface parallel to the section you want to look at that you can click on with the 'look to perpendicular' tool.

This is because the marquee will cut a vertical face through the inclined surface (i.e. the roof in the original post image).

If there is not, then you will need to add a small inclined wall or a morph surface and rotate it to the angle you want the section to be cut.

The 'look to perpendicular' to that surface and then either hide or delete that surface.

BarryKelly_0-1705997822373.png

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Solution
Barry Kelly

Section are always vertical.

You could place a marquee where you want the section and view in 3D.

Then use 'Look to Perpendicular' tool to rotate the 3D view perpendicular to the cut roof surface.

Then save as a 3D Document where you can add annotation.

Barry.

EDIT.

This only works if there is a surface parallel to the section you want to look at that you can click on with the 'look to perpendicular' tool.

This is because the marquee will cut a vertical face through the inclined surface (i.e. the roof in the original post image).

If there is not, then you will need to add a small inclined wall or a morph surface and rotate it to the angle you want the section to be cut.

The 'look to perpendicular' to that surface and then either hide or delete that surface.

BarryKelly_0-1705997822373.png

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thank you Barry, appreciate the solution.

Regards, Mark

Archicad 11 - 27
Windows 11 Home

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
32.0 GB

How do you make the marquee so it cuts the roof in the right angle? When you make a marquee from the floor plan te cut is stil vertical

Martijn Verbeek
Architect / Owner MAD - modeling | architecture | data
www.mad.nl

@Martijn-MAD wrote:

How do you make the marquee so it cuts the roof in the right angle? When you make a marquee from the floor plan te cut is stil vertical

Correct.

That is why you use the 'Look to Perpendicular' command, so the 3D view rotates to look at the surface you want to be square on.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi Barry, I understand, but the angle of the cut doesn't change that way, it stays vertical, and not 90 degrees angle on the elements so you can make measured details in the right angle of the elements.

Martijn Verbeek
www.mad.nl

I get what you mean.

The cut surface of the marquee is vertical, so you can only look perpendicular to that cut face.

I didn't think that through very well!

All I can suggest, if there isn't a plane at the correct angle (perpendicular to the angle you want to look at), then you will need to add a small inlined wall or morph plan rotated to the angle you want the section to be.

Then look perpendicular to that surface and delete or hide that element.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks Barry, you gave me a great idea! I created a small roof in the opposite angle and then made a custum cutting plane using that roof and then looked perpendicular. That view I saved to a 3D document en now using it to make the details. 

Martijn Verbeek
www.mad.nl

maybe i’m misunderstanding (and away from screen atm to check) but is it not possible to place a 3d cut line, perpendicular to the required view, in section/elevation window (instead of marquee in plan which cuts model vertically on 3d) which will then be active in the  3d window?

Yes, that will work.

I didn't think of cutting planes.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!