BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Schedule Preview Annotation Disappears Without Warning

Romans
Expert

@GRAPHISOFT Developers: 

Coming back to a topic that was raised already before I would like to know about the current status of the development and if there is any solution scheduled.

Previous posts:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Collaboration-with-other/lost-annotation-within-schedule/td-p/18...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes/Undesirable-behavior-Schedule-Preview-Annotation-Disappea...

The current workaround (see post from GS Minh Nguyen) is to edit the registry (Windows) respectively plist (Mac) to change the standard setting (clear) on each computer separately. (the entry only appears once an interactive schedule was used on a computer)

In my opinion, this is not reasonable for the standard Archicad user. (on the Mac a special app is needed to edit the plist)

It would be a good start to have this setting in the work environment or in the schedule settings itself.

Any news/information on that issue?

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Roman

Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest
3 REPLIES 3
Fabian Keller
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Hi Roman,

I am not a developer, but we can tell you that we are aware of this Archicad Issue, but at the moment there is no solution for it.

Thank you for pointing out that "the entry only appears once an interactive schedule was used on a computer", I'm sure this will help many people to carry out the workaround.

I am glad that the workaround at least helps you.

After consulting with you, we were able to sharpen the "Issue picture", which helps us in the evulation and finding a solution.

I have already pressed the "Structural analysis model" button more than once
furtonb
Advisor

For this reason we are mostly keeping 2D on a separate worksheet and it makes a LOT of time to create either separate schedules for each item or you need to publish schedules in undesirable formats (items laid next to each other on huge sheets instead of keeping the sheet size in A4 or A3 which is easy to handle for people even on site.

Scheduling in AC is in the stone age whereas software pricing is getting close to paying for rocket science – it is annoyingly getting out of proportions. I know you are not the right person to target this (@Fabian Keller), but maybe the development resources assigned to things like AI visualiser and similar out of reality projects (SAM is on a very similar level in my eyes) should be invested in fixing this behaviour – threads were opened in 2011 regarding this very same problem.

This problem makes the creation of professional schedules with Archicad impossible: you need a lot of information and often a level of detail (think about historic renovations) that the model is not capable to handle and it is not worth modelling – 2D annotations and extensions are needed, preferably as an overlay on model views. If these extensions might disappear without any sign, I will not subject myself to it, an equivalent inacceptable behaviour would be my invoicing software altering or deleting portions of the documents without warning me – not acceptable under any circumstances, and the failure of GS addressing this within ~15 years makes me question how long I should still be invested in this software. I suspect it would mean rewriting a significant portion of Archicad at this point, I can see no other plausible reason why such a task would be put off.

I know how to alter registry and plists, but many of my colleagues and collaborators don't and will never bother with it – this is an insufficient workaround.

On a related note, the lack of instance or type-level properties make keeping schedules in order a nightmare - you always have to go through the whole list to check whether the same IDs do not have duplicates as a result of mismatched specifications. In the case of GDL objects you could create the necessary parameters within the object (and it can work for certain construction elements like doors or windows), but in reality the average user is incapable of handling this, especially with a dedicated shift towards the Excel interoperable Properties. As a result, keeping 2D worksheets aligned with the automatically generated sheet layouts is very cumbersome. Another problem is the lack of indication of adjoining structures – walls, slabs, roofs, etc.

The most efficient way to create the intended looking schedules with the appropriate metadata and drawings is to assemble them in a publishing software (InDesign or Affinity Publisher). A coincidence, but Affinity Designer just got DWG I/O (not recommended for roundtrip communication at the moment), and BlenderBIM had a very promising webinar yesterday. 

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64

Hi furtonb,

thank you for your feedback and experience on the goal-orientated workarounds. I can do my part and pass on your valuable input to the right places.

I have already pressed the "Structural analysis model" button more than once
Learn and get certified!