BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Section Selections Settings- checkbox poorly designed in Archicad 26

Chris Hough
Booster

OK- I just wasted 45 minutes trying to figure out something that one of the programers for Archicad should have realized for the Section and Elevation tools.... So here is my rant since I'm ticked off about this now (feel free to wander away to something productive if you prefer to not listen to me venting...)

OK, so under the Section (I assume the Elevation settings works the same as well) Selection settings, there is a myriad of ways you can configure the "Model Appearance" to get the specific look you want. For most of my sections and elevations (mostly for working drawings as opposed to presentation), I want simple line work, with the vectorial hatching showing (cover fill), with a separate setting for the pen of the "uncut lines" and the "cover fill" of the surface. Looks like it changed somewhere between 23 and 26, because 23 had a "Vectorial Fill" checkbox that you could set, which was just fine. Now it's a "Cover Fill Foreground"- ok fine, I can alter the pens for each surface instead of having a single override- less convenient, but sure, it works.
Only it WASN'T changing the cover fill. It stayed the same color as the outlines.
After messing with graphic overrides, and going back and forth between the Section Settings box and trying to figure out what the deal was- turned out it was quite simple. The "Uniform Uncut Pens" will override the "Surface- Cover Fill Foreground" settings.

SO WHY THE HECK IS THE CHECKBOX FOR "SURFACE COVER FILL FOREGROUND" STILL THERE IF IT DOES NOTHING WHEN YOU HAVE THE "UNIFORM UNCUT PENS" BOX CHECKED???? Why is that not an option that gets hidden since it is an overridden feature with uniform pens selected? I know that this can happen because other unused checkboxes disappear when you change the uncut fill options.

A waste of 45 minutes (OK, maybe I'm slow) for me to chase something down that should not have been an option in the 1st place. Does it make sense that the "uniform uncut pens" feature  would override the cover fills? I suppose it does if I stop and think about it. But why have a checkbox showing that as an "option" if it does nothing with the other checkbox selected?

Just poorly thought out.

I'll stop my rant here, but this is the kind of nonsense that just drives me nuts (in case my frustration did not come through).

Owner, Heritage Design Studio
AC 4.5-26
Maco OS Monterey | 2.4 Ghz i9 | 32Gb | AMD RX 6800 XT
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You should turn this into a wish, then I could forward it to GS HQ for consideration.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Chris Hough
Booster

Yeah, it's technically not a bug- but I wouldn't classify it as a "feature to be added" either. It's just something that was not thought out in the current dialog box configuration. I mean, yes, I can (and probably will) add it to the "wish" list so it gets addressed, but it's also something that should have been caught in testing IMHO.

But I will do as you recommend.

Owner, Heritage Design Studio
AC 4.5-26
Maco OS Monterey | 2.4 Ghz i9 | 32Gb | AMD RX 6800 XT
Learn and get certified!