BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

TURN ON AND OFF LAYERS when plans are in layout book already

cocoloco
Advocate

Like everyone else we have different layer set up for plumbing/electric/appliances etc... So we are placing into layouts the floor plan like 6x time. But first we have to turn on and off the layers and then place and make sure not to click side ways otherwise the view we saved previously will be removed ... It would be perfect if we can just import the view into layout, and then if we have to change the layers, we can do it there... and not going back and forward. Another thing that would save extreme time and be user-friendly... 

MacBook Pro, Sonoma: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, Intel 16GB mem,
Archicad Solo 26 and 27 (in testing mode)
13 REPLIES 13

Both Karl and Barry did not offer "workarounds", they offered the correct technique for placing drawing views into layouts. Not saying your intended way is necessarily wrong. But you are actually trying to do something that I believe you think is a more efficient way to work, but 3 different experienced AC users are pointing you the correct technique. I don't read anyone giving you backlash on this, rather they took time to help you work smarter.  

I hope that helps you understand the reasoning for the replies offered.

Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26

It is not backlash.

We are just explaining how you should be doing it.

You do not place a view and then copy it to different layout pages and then try to change the view settings.

You create different views and each view has its own settings.

You then place each view once on each layout - a different view on each layout.

If you want it in exactly the same position, use the trace and reference feature to line them up.

Or place a hotspot on a layout and copy and paste that to the other layouts.

I am not sure what you mean by the 'same angle' or 'capturing the same angle'.

You were talking about floor plans (electrical, plumbing, etc.).

Or are you talking about 3D views?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes, sorry, floor plan. 

Let me back up. Before you place floor plan on layout through "Save view & place on layout". Is there a way to specifically choose part of floor plan that will be saved on the layout? For example, I thought (and hope) originally that the "marquee" tool would be for it, but I tested it and does not work. When I click on save view & place on layout, archicad just take whatever is on my screen and then I have to crop it, and that I guess is the bottom of my issue - if I am using 5 different layouts for same floor plan (different layer settings), why do I have to crop it 5 times for each layout (hence my test with copy paste) just to make a same look. 

Do you save your floor plans just by "save view & place on layout" or do you have any tool to pre-select what you want on the layout exactly (like marquee but the marquee aparently isn't for this)? 

Would the hotspot on a layout + copy paste be a solution ?

MacBook Pro, Sonoma: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, Intel 16GB mem,
Archicad Solo 26 and 27 (in testing mode)

I rarely use 'save view and place on layout' because my template has most of the views already set up.

If you have an existing view, you can just drag it to a layout.

Generally if I need to save a new view I will do just that by dragging from the Project Map to View Map with the settings I want in the Organiser.

Then I drag from the View Map to the layout I want it on.

Save view and place on layout works just fine, but you may want to move the view in the view map and I am pretty sure it will just go o the last layout page you have open, so you may need to move it there as well.

As for cropping, yes you have to do that manually for each view you want to place.

Placing a marquee, then save and place on layout will not work, but would be nice if it did.

You can copy and paste the views and then re-link them from one view to another and they will remember the cropping.

Another way to control it is to create worksheets for specific areas of your plan.

Then save those as views and place on the layout.

They will show what you have set up in the worksheet.

I don't like worksheets as they are not live views of the plan.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!