BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Trouble with Accuracy

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having trouble getting accurate placement of walls. I work in imperial and read a post from a fellow who used feet with decimal inches to avoid some of the issues with fractions. While this works for the most part, I am finding that Archicad has some built in issues. For example, I draw a wall 40 ft long with a corner at each end. The dimension shows 40' 0.000" which is correct. I draw a polyline which has a side 40 ft long and put a dimension on it which reads 40' 0.000" which is correct. I am very careful when drawing these objects that they are orthogonal and not off by some small degree. If I place the polyline to line up with the corners of the walls, the lower end is misaligned by .001". If the wall is moved to align to the polyline, it's dimension becomes 40' 0.001". Either the wall is correct or the polyline is correct. Both items are placed by typing the length into the tracker box. They should be perfect with each other but are not. Does someone have some insight into this behavior?. I use polylines occasionally as a guide line for placing an object but if I can't trust it's accuracy, it's a problem.
Kris

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kris,
Unless you are entering coordinates through the tracker you are not inputting walls and lines accurately, I use radius and angles to input and avoid such issues
Regards
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
As I believe I said in my post, I did enter the length and angle in the tracker.
DGSketcher
Legend
I have been working on some drawings recently where millimetre accuracy is needed and have noticed the rounding seems to be adrift if you use maximum accuracy in the dimensions. It's difficult to point a finger at where the problem is. I know the software will use mathematical rounding, which is frustrated by the transition between binary and our use of metric or imperial numerics, but I do sometimes wonder if AC's calculation accuracy has been dumbed down to speed up the user experience. It's a difficult call for GS as they need to cope with objects that may be a threaded bolt up to a city plan, yet still achieve optimum feedback against dimensional accuracy. The other aspect I struggle with is the use of guide lines which since their introduction have been prone to generating false points unless zoomed in close. I guess this doesn't help much, I do however empathise with your accuracy & trust issues.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello KrisM,

Seems really troubling. Could you open up a new file, and make a quick screen recording of how you make this Wall and Polyline, and then send me the video and the result in a PLA (in a Private Message)?

I want to look at what might go wrong here.

Thanks in Advance,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Learn and get certified!