BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Wall surface/treatment shown in plan

jattt
Participant

Hello,

I am looking for a BIM parameter that could allow us to display a wall surface material in plan defined by a colour like this:

jattt_0-1698302880181.png

Right now the practice in our office is to manually draw 2D lines to display surface treatments, but this takes time and is a source of human error. Is there any way you could make this process more intelligent by defining a parameter within the wall and using a graphic override to display in plan? Maybe similar to how you can show the operating area of a door;

jattt_1-1698303357116.png

(English isnt my first language, by operating area I mean the requirement of free space from the door handle to the next obstacle)

I'm aware that the composite would display the material, but these plans are for treatment/finish, i.e. same composite painted in a different color etc.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly

If walls were objects (like the doors) it would be relatively simple with a bit of GDL scripting.

You were on the right track with Graphic Overrides.

You can override the pen colour, line style, fill type of a wall based on certain criteria (like wall surface material).

But unfortunately this will not work either, as a Graphic Override will affect the entire wall.

So if you have different surfaces on each side of the wall, it will only show one override.

Also it doesn't add a coloured dashed line to the side of the wall it changes the actual wall.

So unfortunately, as far as I know you are stuck with manually drawing a coloured dashed line as you are now.

You could maybe achieve this with an add-on, but you will have to be an add-on developer to do this.

Actually you could possible utilise the existing wall accessory add-on (saves you having to create one).

But you will then need to know GDL scripting to be able to create a wall accessory object - that might be possible.

Not something you could do yourself though without learning at least some GDL.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Alright, thank you for a thorough reply! 🙂
I don't know GDL scripting, so I'll hope for this to be implemented at some point in the distant future.

fabioverissimos
Participant

Hello!

Any development on this?

In Portugal this is a very common way to display the diferent wall finishes.

Fábio

Versions 12 to 27
AMD Ryzen 2600, 16GB RAM, RX580 8GB
Windows 11 & OS X Monterey

Intel Core i9-11900F, 128GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB
Windows 11
Learn and get certified!