BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Can't launch commercial license mode after Education mode

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll try to keep this short without leaving out anything essential.

Apple Intel iMac with OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard

I made some drawings using a 30-day commercial license of AC15. When the license expired, I acquired an Education mode free trial, and I made some new drawings using an Education license. The Education license is still active, but I have acquired a commercial 30-day license with a hardware key. I have checked the key, and it shows ArchiCAD 16 as being loaded or authorized. I want to open the files I made with the previous commercial license, but the Education license always opens instead. I put the AC16 in the trash and re-installed it. I haven't figured out how to deactivate the Education license, although there are drawings I would still like to access using that. I go into the Finder and locate the file I want to open (the old one I made with the old commercial license). I select "open with" and choose ArchiCAD 16. It goes into Education mode, and it won't open the commercial file because it is in Education mode.

Little help?
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
Once a file has been saved with EDU license it can't be opened with a commercial license.
If you do the commercial license will switch to EDU mode.
See this Archicadwiki page for more info.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchicadLicenseTypes

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Rolon
a EDU file can be opened with a commercial license but the later will switch to EDU mode as long as that file is opened, any commercial file that you open in the EDU version and save will be switched to EDU and AC would give a warning about it.(I have to do this all the time to evaluate the projects students hand-in.)

This is what may be happening. You are opening the Commercial version of AC by double clicking the EDU file, this switches AC to educational.

For your mac problems you can do Command+I after selecting the file in Finder to open the file info and in "Open With" you can select the which program to use to open the file and apply it to all files.

To verify the problem, open Commercial AC first and from it browse to the file you want to open. If it changes to EDU then that file is not a commercial one. If not, changing the file settings should do the trick and as a rule I always open the program first then the file from within it.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!