BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Choosing CAD software/ ArchiCAD Solo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice, I'm sure some of you have been in a similar situation before.

I'm looking to set up on my own soon to do some small extensions etc. I want to stick with ArchiCAD which I have been using in a practice since version 9, which I'm now proficient with compared to AutoCAD which I have limited experience with.

However, I cannot afford a full license for ArchiCAD as I am trying to keep costs down. This is where I am considering ArchiCAD solo.

Firstly, does anyone have any experience using ArchiCAD solo or start or whatever the light version is called in your region?

Secondly, AutoCAD LT (I know it's 2d) is significantly cheaper for me trying to set up by myself, is it really worth sticking with ArchiCAD for small extensions and bits of space planning. I'm not aiming to go massive with my aspirations, just earn a living as it were.

I pretty much know the answer to question two, but would be interested what people have to say.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Eduardo Rolon
First check Draftsight which is a "copy" of Autocad Light and is free. Though going back to 2D CAD should not be an option even for small additions.

I have no experience with Solo/Start but another option is to buy monthly keys for AC Full.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

JaredBanks
Mentor
ArchiCAD solo 2013 / ArchiCAD START 2013 is a great option if you don't need to continue old projects started in the full version and you don't need teamwork. 2013 has complex profiles, morphs, all the good modeling needs.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive been using 17 solo for a week or so and can gladly say that it fine.

Only downsides compared to the Teamwork version are

Lack of lightworks rendering engine
Teamwork functionality
No Hotlink modules

PM or email me for more info
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Lennox,

I am considering acquire an archicad solo, can you please clear me up some doubts:

- Is it possible to open PLN files from the full version, work on it and continue to save in pln?Pln is normal work extension?
- To export 3D model to other render softwares is it possible to save in this extensions - .dae | .3Ds | .atl ?
- If you have a licence of the UK do you know if is permited to be used in European Union (EC)?

Thank you for the help.
Best regards,

Rui
Eduardo Rolon
Rui,

This is a very old thread and you might not get an answer. Please check https://www.graphisoft.com/purchase/ so you can find your reseller and get answers from them.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
Yes, Solo can open and save the same PLN as the full version of ARCHICAD:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25697/

As to using the product outside of a licensed region, etc, follow ejrolon's advice and contact a reseller, as you would have to contact one anyway to purchase.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!