BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, new Java security update and Oracle

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

Recently the latest security update "Java for OS X 2012-006" appeared in the software update. In the description it states:
This update uninstalls the Apple-provided Java applet plug-in from all web browsers. To use applets on a web page, click on the region labeled "Missing plug-in" to go download the latest version of the Java applet plug-in from Oracle.
From time to time we need the Java plug-in in the browser. As far as I understand it, ArchiCAD works with Java SE 6. And when I download Java from Oracle, I get Java SE 7.

According to this article www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD15/InstallProblems at least I can't install ArchiCAD with Java SE 7 (not my current problem, but still).

Does ArchiCAD have problems on the Mac with Java SE 7?

Over Java was more or less the only serious malware threat on the Mac. Therefor I want to install the update 2012-006 for Java SE 6. But I would also like to use Java in the browser, which forces me to install Java SE 7.

How should I proceed?

(Sorry for my english...)
2 REPLIES 2
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I am curious about this as well. I usually perform software updates immediately, but hesitate on this one until I know how it will affect Archicad. Does anyone know?
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I installed the update today and AC16 still works fine. I don't know about any installation issues, though.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Learn and get certified!