BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Re: Archicad 27 New Features

Stress Co_
Advisor

I sometimes create two walls (or three). One is the core and it remains. the others are the "skins" (plaster/GWB/shear/siding, etc.) which I demo. Then I add new walls that are the new skins. A frick'en mess.

Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
9 REPLIES 9
CARTA
Contributor

I do have more and more difficulty to sell the advantage of Archicad vs Revit to the team, for the simple reason - like Bricklyne suggested - that such a small part of the update seems to be Architecture related. 

GDL to create objects... I mean, have you ever tried creating a family in Revit? You can create an object within an object and add parametric fonction with such basic knowledge.

9 licences times 975$, it starts to be a lot expensive just to be able to put aside your calculator and make basic additions in the tracker.

Hopefully, A28 will focus on architects users..

Have you seen the latest roadmap? At least we might finally see Keynotes, and some late feature updates / completions, but other than that the new focus is MEP.

Productivity improvements, Instancing and Dark Mode, (a 5 year old experimental feature!), are all still buried in research.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I can't believe after six months we've seen no improvements to the roadmap. More and more it seems it was something they threw together just to shut us up and then forgot about it. 

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

I understand, it is hard to justify nearly $1000/year per license when they're focusing on MEP tool. Particularly when some of the architectural features they're adding require and additional purchase for BIMcloud to work with BIMx.

They will not bend their will on their over-development of MEP for an architectural ("Archi"CAD) software. Even when the majority here on the community board have asked for the development and roadmap to become more architectural feature focused. At the last event, the top voted question for their Q&A was regarding this topic, and they ignored it. Instead they double-down on it.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

Yeah... Keynotes, but we could wait all those years so we are using Ci tools Keynotes (central innovation) plugg-in and it works great. I somehow feel that their version won't be as good considering Ci Tools Keynotes are up to date for some years now.

Another thing that bothers me, we are now able to add colors in schedules, but somehow you still can't add a "field" to help configure your elements and then hide it on the schedule - seems pretty basic to me. 

@Rex Maximilian wrote:

I can't believe after six months we've seen no improvements to the roadmap. More and more it seems it was something they threw together just to shut us up and then forgot about it. 

THIS!

I said at the time they released it, that the proof would be in the pudding of what they did in the aftermath of actually releasing it as to whether it was just digital lip service to shut us up, versus them actually being serious about course-correcting  and maybe avoiding the fate of their rivals Autodesk with their infamous open letters from disgruntled customers.

I think it's now becoming clear that it was all just to shut us up, and they don't seem really that sincere about taking any of our concerns seriously at all.

They have their internal roadmap - which from the looks of it, their public roadmap seems to be mirroring - and their focus remains as it was prior to before everyone complained about the neglecting of Architecture-related features and tools.

And that is,... SAM, MEP, DDSCAD, and a few crumbs of whatever's left over for those perpetually complainng and whining architects.

Their seeming disregard and almost outright contempt at this point for their customers (the architect and designer ones, that is,,,) continues to both astound and amaze me, and not in the most complimentary sense either.

I feel for poor CARTA and other subscription folks.

They already have your money, so why should they care a whit that you're not satisfied?

The problem with this situation is that you're now spending additional money (on top of the license fee) to get third-party plugin of a working version of a tool that should be native to the program, or should have been for several versions now for as long as users have been asking for it since forever.

And they're going to now release their own version (presumably) that's not nearly as good as the CI one (because the CI one has been around for a while and their developers have had plenty of time to fine-tune it and adapt it to users needs, because unlike some people they actually listen to their customers), which means you'll have to continue spending more money above the subsription fee range to continue using the superior version of the Keynotes tool (the third party tool) - i.e. the one that actually works as advertised,....on top of your subscription fees you're already paying,....... which,.....ostensibly go to refining MEP, SAM and DDSCAD tools as well as developing not very well-functioning versions of tools you're paying more money to get decent working (third party plugin) versions of.

It's enough to make you want to bash your head against a wall if you really think hard about it.

Keymaster
Contributor

Still waiting on demoing of just a skin of a wall or slab. In residential projects it's very common just to remove plaster and lathe down to studs and then add new gypsum board. Now I need to demo the entire wall and add new. The demo plans show the studs being removed then, so need to adds notes about how they are not. Have had a few walls ripped out that were not supposed to be by GC missing the note.  

Learn and get certified!