BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Thinking of Switch to Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently I have a Windows Dell Precision 340 and it is connected to a HP DesignJet 430, there is a parallel cable between them and it has plotted beautiful sheets for years.

New in the office is a Mac G5, and I am considering the switch, but I can't even consider it unless there is a good solution for the plotter. What do you use for your Mac connection?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Burginger
San Diego, CA
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
I switched to Mac also, and VERY happy about it. I have HP450C, all I needed to do was in Plot Setup>Connection and TCP/IP>Setup put the IP address of the plotter and for the port input 9100
Welcome to more designing and less computering!
Joseph Harouni
Anonymous
Not applicable
On the software/hardware side I need:

X-RIP and a USB to parallel adaptor?

http://www.microspot.com/products/xrip100.htm
I also have a 450C, on a JetDirect box, and plot with TCP/IP, no trouble.

Switch +5 years and counting,
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
What do you use for the driver? What is most popular with Mac users?

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
The driver is included with PlotMaker (for plotting not printing). Get a JetDirect box (other servers might work but it's probably best to stick with HP) and plot over the network using TCP/IP.

If money is short you might be able to find a used JetDirect on ebay. Plot files are small so speed is not much of an issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Curious....
Why the desire to switch platforms?
Or your gonna be running a dual platform office?
I was thinking on test driving a G5 myself.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually the post was some what misrepresented. I am thinking of switching my use of ArchiCAD from PC to Mac. I have been a Mac user since the days of 1989 when I purchased my first Mac IIci. My first PC occurred when I purchased ArchiCAD 6.0 and I wanted to have the option to run -Argg- "AutoCad". For years I have had both operating systems on my small network.

Years later, AutoCad skills lay dormant. I find I am able to handle all consultants DWG's just fine with ArchiCAD. Inport/export they don't know the difference. The Mac OS is by far more enjoyable to work in and I want to integrate my graphical tools "PhotoShop, C4D, etc." closer to ArchiCAD for presentation purposes.

The new G5 dualie has jaw dropping qualities. The iLife package allows you to easily provide communicative material to clients and consultants. Work can be fun. The same level of capabilities on a Windows machine causes you to very carefully purchase several different software programs and you cross your fingers hoping that they work together and that they don't become obsolete in 6 months. The iLife suite just keeps getting better with each release. Combine the ease of use with speed and possibly that new 30" billboard display. Sweet!

I remember when this list would constantly talk about the bad Mac implementation of ArchiCAD. Lately that talk has diminished. I suppose the quiet means the MacAddicts are hard at work.
IIcx.gif
Thomas Holm
Booster
Mark,

if you want OSX printer drivers, Gimp-print might be a solution. All free. But I don't know if they all work.
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3 (drivers for some 500+ printers)

There are additional OSX printer driver packages available at
http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/

Also, for recent printers, HP have their own drivers. I don't know if Microspot gives you any advantage other than an invoice. 😉
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Gimp-print might be a solution. All free. But I don't know if they all work.
I've only used GimpPrint and GhostScript for a few printers, but so far they work great. Sometimes better than the manufacturers' drivers.
Learn and get certified!