Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

UK Spec electrical symbols request.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know where I can get a list of the official UK specification electrical symbols? (preferably for free! )

I am building a UK spec set of electrical components and would like to use the correct symbols on plan. The 2d symbols we use in the office are a bit of a custom hybrid set, and so I don't know how accurate these are.

Many thanks in advance for any help received!
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
Peter,
Not an answer, but curious.

The symbols included in the US version of archicad are consistent with what we see in [our] Graphic Standards and AIA (American Institute of Architects).

Do you have a UK version of Graphic Standards? Or does your Royal Architectural Society (?) publish standards?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erika,

British Standards used to publish the document BS EN 60617-11 containing just the architectural electrical symbols costing £162 here. This was replaced by IEC 60617 here which has all 12 sections and costs around £330 per year!

In ArchiCAD itself there are a number UK spec symbols in the library already, but annoyingly named using just a code number which mean nothing to me! (and yes, they do look that bad in the folder preview!) These look different to the symbols used in our office, so I'm struggling to guess which is which.

The best I have found online is http://www.cadcoaching.co.uk/electrical_comp.jpg but this isn't a very comprehensive list. I'm coming to the conclusion that no-one seems to use exactly the same symbols! Even so, it would be nice to have a comprehensive list of the official ones.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Here is the similar US version.
Previews are similarly dreadful images.
US electrical symbols.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"