BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

anyone else experiencing these issues with mac studio?

heathldesign
Expert

I have a new mac studio M1 Max, 32Gb 1Tb ssd.

i'm not impressed with the speed of this thing so far so i'm wondering if i'm just expecting too much.

1. when i save a file while working, (in this case a very small house with no complex profiles. i don't know how to find out the polygon count, but it shouldn't mater. it's a single storey house with a simple mesh.) i get the spinning beach ball for 2-3 sec.

2. when i try to pan or orbit in a 3D window when 3D view is set to any vectoral view option but particularly bad with technical drawing - vectoral,  there is a hesitation then the view changes to wireframe. once the pan is finished it will take several seconds before the 3D view switches back from wireframe. if i orbit, the view usually doesn't switch back until i hit esc.  just now i tried with 4 walls, slab and simple mesh and i have to wait 1 sec after pan and it doesn't switch back from orbit.

3. when i pan in plan view, inertia doesn't really work. 2-3 times there is no inertia, the pan simply stops when my fingers come off the track pad. (or magic mouse) but about every third time inertia does work, sort of. it will move a little, stop then after a pause of less than a second, it snaps over then drifts to a stop. however, panning in 3D is no issue at all, inertia works perfectly.

4. opening layout book PDFs with preview, i watch as the drawings populate each page. particularly elevations. it may take 2-3 seconds for each page to draw.

this thing is marginally better than my late 2015 imac 27"

MAC Studio 2022 M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 10 cores, AC26 5003 Apple Silicon USA
11 REPLIES 11

Your signature suggests you are running the original build of Archicad 26 Apple Silicon. Have you updated to the latest build?

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

oops. corrected.

Ah, so it’s not something as simple as that. I must admit I have noticed a project hanging for a short period when saving on my M1 Max MacBook Pro. This particular project has a lot of 2D data in it. We have imported an entire survey in to independent elevations, sections and worksheets. I know that can slow Archicad down. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

i'm wondering if it's my machine or maybe my user. i did a migration from my old machine, but i'm seriously afraid to try a factory reset and move my stuff over manually. i would need a comprehensive list of things to move and where to find them. so far, i haven't found anyone willing to let me know. one day i'll grow a pair. 🙂

I used to use carbon copy cloner to make a complete bootable copy of my drive and then factory reset and start from scratch. Reinstall all the software and you always have that full copy as a backup. I just use iCloud Drive now so when I get a new machine I just start from scratch, install my apps and sign in to iCloud to bring all my documents, desktop, keychains, bookmarks, photos and everything else iCloud stores. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

so i would still need to know where to find all the associated files. i lost the log files for my time tracker a while back because i forgot to save those. part of my fear is that i will miss something like preferences or logs etc. and or end up putting them back in the wrong place or worse maybe, in two places. each app has dozens of folders and i just don't know where to begin. maybe i'm over thinking this?

mthd
Ace

Hi, I have a similar machine to yours but I think my SSD might only be 500gb. I haven’t had those issues that you describe above with a single story duplex that was migrated from windows 10 to Mac but I am completing the job in AC24 at this stage.

I just can’t get my space bar to bring up the magic wand so I just access it from the control box  for now. I recently upgraded the OS from Monterey to Ventura still ok.

I do however have problems with quitting Archicad and the bug reporter wants to send a report to GS.

Hope you get it sorted with the latest build of AC26 apple silicon.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

I have the same problem quitting AC 24 and getting a hang / bug report. I assume Apple has changed something in a background update, as the same version of AC 24 worked ok until recently. I don’t have a problem quitting 25 - 27.

This is on Mac Intel not M series chips.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

That’s good to know about AC24 not quitting in Mac, I just put up with it. I have tested newer versions with my project but I don’t want any slow downs with non compatibility issues. In AC25 my cad image roof porch covering somehow rotated out of place but in AC26 it was ok. AC is not absolutely perfect but I am very happy with the implementation of DG’s in AC27, that will save me a heap of time modeling up a design. Almost all good !

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Learn and get certified!