Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

zooming with mouse wheel

Anonymous
Not applicable
On occasion, I loose the ability to zoom with the scroll wheel on my mouse (and other mice I have tried).

This started happening in ArchiCAD 9 and now is happening in ArchiCAD 11. It usually lasts for several hours, and is particularly bad with a certain file.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17
Dwight
Newcomer
Hello and welcome. It is protocol on this forum that when asking questions one should list the hardware and software configuration where the problem occurs. Use your "signature" to do this.

Aside from a squashed bug in your mouse causing it to generate a "B" when it should say "T":

Is this trouble file a large one? If so, and there are many elements in the view, turn down the plan rendering detail. See attached.

You also want to review all of your rendering detail in OpenGL including how much of the 3D window it should render.
010.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Tim Potts
Participant
I have recently encountered the same problem. This is happening to me even on small models. It seems to have occurred after the most recent update and it happens on my G5 OS 10.4 and my G4 laptop. The zooming feature works fine in all other apps, and quitting ArchiCad and relaunching doesn't help. usually if I restart my computers the mouse works for a while and then stops zooming again. Most frustrating.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, it is frustrating.

My modeling detail settings were already set to simplified. I don't actually understand Dwight's comment about the mouse having a squashed bug and the "B" and "T".
Dwight
Newcomer
In addition to offering real advice, I sometimes veer off into movie references like where the fly falls into the printer in the movie "Brazil" unleashing a stream of errors when the squashed bug causes a typo.

Everybody would know that.

I made this obscure connection because there once was time when mouses [not "mice." "Mice" means multiple rodents] were mechanical and stuff could get in there and cause malfunction.

That is what i get for being old.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still having problems with this in multiple files -anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jill
Stress Co_
Advisor
Jill wrote:
any suggestions?
Take the mouse apart and clean the lint/dust around the wheel.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Chazz
Enthusiast
Dwight wrote:
I sometimes veer off into movie references like where the fly falls into the printer in the movie "Brazil" unleashing a stream of errors when the squashed bug causes a typo.
Most revealing of all is that it is not your first reference to the film

My zoom wheel stopped working yesterday too. To think that we worked that way all the time in AC 7. I shudder to think. A quit/relaunch solved it for moi.

One feature that GS did away with when they introduced the scroll wheel zooming is the "return to last view" which I miss terribly.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Dwight
Newcomer
Chazz: Hojegoinbai?

So, even though i take refuge in the fantasy life of movies where things often work out well and sometimes not, as in Brazil, I am hot on my shortcuts and you simply need to look for "Previous Zoom" and "Next Zoom" to program a keyboard shortcut accordingly.

With a five button programmable mouse, the side outriggers are the likely candidates for these functions.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jill wrote:
On occasion, I loose the ability to zoom with the scroll wheel on my mouse (and other mice I have tried).
Does anything change if you temporarily disconnect and reconnect the mouse?
Ralph Wessel BArch