BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Creating Mouldings

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a few probs with creating mouldings. I have created some by using line tool to create the section and magic wand slab to it, then saving 3D as object.
However the problem is that i want to mitre the ends to form a return - i have tried to look at the scripts for existing mouldings but finding it tricky.
I need to create some to win a contract - what would be a quick way to overcome my mitre problem.
Can anyone help ???
12 REPLIES 12
Eduardo Rolon
Use Custom profiles applied to walls and save as objects.

That is if you are using AC10 or 11 it works with Mac 10.4 and 10.5, Xp should not give problems, Vista might not work if you are using 10. Check for minimum RAM and Hardddisk requirements.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Rolday wrote:
I'm having a few probs with creating mouldings. I have created some by using line tool to create the section and magic wand slab to it, then saving 3D as object.
However the problem is that i want to mitre the ends to form a return - i have tried to look at the scripts for existing mouldings but finding it tricky.
I need to create some to win a contract - what would be a quick way to overcome my mitre problem.
OBJECTiVE will provide a quick and easy solution: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html

You can easily create your own moulding objects from fills/slabs. The resulting object can be rotated, split, or bent to curves in 3D using OBJECTIVE's modelling tools. In your case, a mitre can be easily made using the split tool (see the attached image). You aren't restricted to a single offcut on any edge, nor does it need to be a full mitre, any shaping is maintained as the moulding is stretched.
Profiling.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Djordje
Ace
Use Profiler, included in Archicad as a free download. Go to Help pull down menu, find the Goodies link, download and install as instructed.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight
Newcomer
Djordje: with all due respect, the Profiler tool is obsolete for generating conventional mouldings. Use of complex profiles in a wall element is superior because:

- instant edit/swap of profile once the initial shape is placed.

- multi-color/materials in one extrusion.

- with self-healing/auto-join at any angle, who needs a mitre?

- magic-wanding of moulding to room perimeters !!!!!

- grouping/ganging mouldings, wainscotting and baseboard with multi-surface walls makes trimming-up fancypants rooms easier - or just gang up the trim bits and leave the base wall separate.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Dwight wrote:
Djordje: with all due respect, the Profiler tool is obsolete for generating conventional mouldings. Use of complex profiles in a wall element is superior because:

- instant edit/swap of profile once the initial shape is placed.

- multi-color/materials in one extrusion.

- with self-healing/auto-join at any angle, who needs a mitre?

- magic-wanding of moulding to room perimeters !!!!!

- grouping/ganging mouldings, wainscotting and baseboard with multi-surface walls makes trimming-up fancypants rooms easier - or just gang up the trim bits and leave the base wall separate.
Quite agreed!

The topic was creating these parts as objects. However wonderful Objective is, one should first make very sure that what needs to be done cannot be done out of the box.

Don't forget to put the moulding walls on an non-intersecting layer!
Djordje

HP Omen
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Djordje wrote:
Dwight wrote:
with all due respect, the Profiler tool is obsolete for generating conventional mouldings.
The topic was creating these parts as objects. However wonderful Objective is, one should first make very sure that what needs to be done cannot be done out of the box.
Hi Djordje - I think you're still missing an important point Dwight was making - 'Profiler' is a redundant tool. It never was a very good tool anyway - almost no editing capability or 3D freedom - and Complex Profiles replaced almost everything it did.

However, OBJECTiVE is recommended because it provides unique capabilities unmatched by anything in out-of-the-box ArchiCAD. It's simply a matter of the complexity of your projects. Complex Profiles makes many of the most common profiling tasks easy, but more detailed modelling is well-nigh impossible unless you have a huge amount of time to learn to be a programmer. This is where OBJECTiVE fits in.

OBJECTiVE's features:
  • - Simpler/faster profile creation and management than Complex Profiles
    - Instant updating of profiles when the shape is edited
    - Ability to place, rotate, and split in Section/Elevation windows (no need to keep switching between plan and elevation views)
    - Fine-tuned control over the facetting of curved faces
    - Complete freedom of orientation in 3D (no need to switch between wall, beam, and column tools depending on orientation)
    - 3D cutting without messing around with SEO's, connecting profiles, or roof trims
    - Bending to curves in more than one axis
    - Simultaneous bending and incline for spiral profiles, e.g. handrails to circular stairs
OBJECTiVE doesn't auto-connect like Complex Profiles, but this is deliberate. While auto-connecting is usually fine, you can end up fighting with it when its implicit assumptions are wrong. And sometimes mitres or offcuts are required for reasons other than a junction - simple with OBJECTiVE, but a real pain with Complex Profiles. In short, OBJECTiVE is about modelling freedom and flexibility. Not everyone needs it, but it is a valuable and unmatched tool if you do.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Djordje
Ace
No, Ralph, I am not missing the points.

You are missing mine - that people should first be very sure that they can't do what they need to out of the box, before they buy your excellent product. Or any other product, for that matter.

That was the only point, and I am not going to elaborate, giving you another advertizing opportunity.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
No, Ralph, I am not missing the points.

You are missing mine - that people should first be very sure that they can't do what they need to out of the box, before they buy your excellent product. Or any other product, for that matter.

That was the only point, and I am not going to elaborate, giving you another advertizing opportunity.
Ralph:

IMHO, I find your posts to be informative and to the point. I do not feel they are inappropriate or overly "promotional".
Anonymous
Not applicable
Having only looked at the demo's, (which not all seem to work right), I do think Objective may be an option I would look at.
However the "AD" post was a bit over the top.
Looks like a good product but maybe a bit more mellow
in the ad's Ralph?
Bier
Learn and get certified!