BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Creating gsm library parts with custom profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anyone able to advise if you can use the CUSTOM PROFILE tool to create library objects with that do NOT have script errors when you check them.

I have spent HOURS trying to get this to work and even the examples provided in the ArchiCAD11 guides produce script errors when checking.

Any feed back would be useful.

Richard Hewitt
ArchiCAD 11 (frustrated new user)
Windows XP
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you getting consistently the same script errors ?
In AC 10 I get the same "not enough parameters"
error because AC does not write the materials for
for the SPRISM_{2} surfaces. Fortunately, this can
be corrected by adding the material parameters.
Peter Devlin
Karl Ottenstein
richard wrote:
Is anyone able to advise if you can use the CUSTOM PROFILE tool to create library objects with that do NOT have script errors when you check them.
I'm not aware of a 'custom profile tool' in ArchiCAD itself. Are you talking about the Cadimage tools? Or are you talking about the old Profiler 'Goodie'? Or are you talking about making a custom object using profiled walls, beams and/or columns?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem I find is always when using what I understand to be a custom profile by creating a shape in

design\complex profiles\PROFILE MANAGER

I can create a library object, save it etc but things start falling appart when you try to clean up the .gsm object. Sometimes it will save ok but you cannot do the Find & Replace to try to set parameters for (say) colours) as the script always fails.

It is a great pity as the custom profile is a really good tool for drawing simple library objects - especially with curved surfaces.

Appreciate your interest - thanks,
Richard Hewitt
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for clarifying - so the right terminology is not that you are using a profile tool, but that you have created a custom profile and used that profile with a wall, beam or column and saved the result as an object.

I just did that, saved as 'editable GDL script', and have no problem with checkscript, or editing it.

So, I think you'll need to detail what is is that you saved, how you created it, and how you saved it as an object, as either something is wrong in the process, or there is a bug in AC related to something specific that you did.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish Richard would be kind enough to answer my question
as it might aid in our understanding of the problem.
Thank you,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
In reply to Peter Devlin:-

There does seem to be some consistency in the script errors:

starts off with:-
Too many parameters at line 88...

then goes on

Material not found at line 57...
Material not found at line etc etc
... (this repeats about 10 times)

Thanks again for your interest
Richard Hewitt
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard,
Is line 88 the first line of the GDL command SPRISM_{2) ?
If so, could you copy the script of this command and
include in a post here. I suspect you have the same
problem I have run into but I need to confirm it.
Please see attachment.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
In reply to Karl

Have tried again and still get errors. I will try to explain how I generate the object. I am trying to build a simple sofa with round edges. Using a custom profile this should be quite easy drawing the object on its side as you can then generate curves in two directions.

In PROFILE MANAGER I create a simple rectangle 2in wide x 11in high. The origin is bottom left. I create two 1" fillets on the two left side corners.
The fill type is set to 100% scale independent
Fill pens Foreground 91
Fill pens Background 91
Contour pen 4
Use in WALLS
Side materials 12 | Fabric

Saved as sofa_2x11

Now creating the object: (or part to keep this exercise simple)
Using WALL tools, open the custom profile and manually track round a shape. Fill in the void with a SLAB. Used a marquee to view only the object and in the 3d window set the view to SIDE and saved as a gsm object (with editable script checked). (this is only a part of the full sofa but I tested this simple version today and still got the script errors).

Opened the LIBRARY OBJECT and in the 3d script panel CHECK SCRIPT reveal errors (numerous) starting off with

String type expression required at
line 70 in the 3d script.....

Parameter expression error or unnecessary end comma...

the errors go on an on when you press CONTINUE.

Hope this explains a bit more but I am pleased to hear you have had no issues with creating an object from a custom profile.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It reminds me this thread.
I think Peter is right. Sometimes, but rarely, autoscripted objects get into a mess. Easy to correct.
Post your object, please, so we can take a look.
Learn and get certified!