BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Custom glass door panel plan symbol?

matjashka
Enthusiast
I have a simple question - I've been searching for an answer but found none:

How do I modify the plan symbol for my custom panel (for example custom glass panel should show glass in plan).
I tried drawing a simple 2D Symbol in the GDL editor (in xy plane) but that failed.

The default panels have plan symbols that show openings and glass if necessary. How do I fix mine? (AC 11)
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Matthias:

I don't have much experience with custom door panels, but generally speaking, if an object has a 2D Script, the 2D Symbol will be ignored, unless referenced by a FRAGMENT2 command. So you could comment out or delete the 2D Script to utilize the 2D Symbol drawing. The 2D Script offers many more options than what is possible with the 2D Drawing, but for a one-off object like a door panel, this may be the simplest approach. I am assuming that the custom panel works pretty much like any GDL object.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
matjashka
Enthusiast
Thanks, David

What confuses me about door panels is that the door leaf is actually "laying on the floor" and the 2D script that was automatically generated represents the door elevation, not its plan.

I'd normally open some object from the default library to see the script, but I don't know how to open a panel, since it can't be directly put on the plan 😞
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Matthias:

I took a quick look at this, and the door component just has the 3D door panel, no 2D symbol (the 2D Script of the panel contains an elevation view of the panel). Rather than edit the panel, the 2D Script of the host door library part would have to be modified to change the appearance of the symbol, not an easy solution, given the complexity of the ArchiCAD door library parts.

To open the component (not that it helps in this case), you have a couple options. One is to simply use the Open Object.. command and navigate to the library folder where the door panel was saved. You can also use the Open Object by Subtype... command and drill down to Model Element > Custom Component Template > Custom Door Panel to find you panel. You may need to add these commands to your Work Environment to use them.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
matjashka
Enthusiast
Thanks, David

I'll take a look at it, but as you said, I doubt I want to mess with an AC door.

--

OT, IMHO, these objects are fairly overcomplicated. A less complex generic door/window that would have simplified form, allowing to modify all the necessary basics, would be welcome. I'm stuck with a bunch of specialized objects and sometimes none of them really do the job. Example: no casing option for storefronts.
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Learn and get certified!