BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Developing Smart Objects

Hello:

I made a request in the "wishes" forum but after one of the responses I got I started thinking maybe I could create my own. To that end I need to know/learn how to write .gsm and/or .gdl files with lots of parameters for the object. All I know from feedback is that the files are scripts that act upon the parameters chosen to create the object. I would consider a railing as a smart object with lots of parameters and the file would create all the necessary elements and placing them in the proper location relative to each other. My assumption is that the file contains a script that calculates the number of segments between nodes and then creates the segments (including all the elements indicated in the specification window. Now if I wanted to modify the "railing" object to have more parameters/features where does one go to learn how to do that? The other part is where can a person learn to create specification windows for new objects with lots of parameters? Looking for advice.

3 REPLIES 3
cuba
Advocate

For learning GDL start with Barking Dog Bim:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc4TLnvpHsLiwognc9OgdJA

Apple M1 Max 32 GB Ventura
AC27

Thanks for the link. It would seem to have everything I need. It'll just take time to go through the things I am looking for.

Haver a nice day.

Lingwisyer
Guru

You have used "Railing" as an example, but do note that the Railing Tool itself is a fixed fuction that compiles other objects together and cannot itself be modified, so you are unable to add more "parameters/features" to it.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!