Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Edit Window & Door Unit size default list

RTT_ADG
Booster

Just starting ArchiCAD and I cannot find any information on this anywhere.

In the Window and Door "Nominal Sizes..." tab, under Unit Size. After "Custom Size" there is a right pointing triangle that drops down standard sizes.

I'm wondering how you edit that list, as many window manufacturers have different sizes that those. And it seems to be a pain to edit that size every time you insert a window.

Not sure if I'm missing something or just not understanding typical usage yet.

E.g. The windows we use have a 2'-11 5/8" Frame Size height, not 3'-0".  Along with many other sizes not listed.

I want to edit this list and save for all the different window manufacturers we use.

See Attached for drop down list I want to edit.

Any help would be appreciated.

WindowDefaultSizeList.jpg

AC27 - Win 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

It is not so hard to just type in the size as you place a window.

Choosing from a list or typing in a figure, there is not a lot of difference apart from the actual typing of a few numbers.

There will likely be other settings you need to make as well.

This would be my preferred method.

For typical windows sizes for common windows, I would set up favourites.

Yes you will need a favourite for every variation or size you want to use - I would just do the most common ones.

I would probably set up variations (i.e. Double Hung with casements, DH with no casements, DH with raking sill, etc.) in just one or two common sizes, not for every possible size.

Another alternative to the favourites is a 'visual favourite', where you place a wall with all the different size/type windows in it.

Save this in a separate file that you can keep open in a second Archicad, it could also be set up in your template - no need for the second file then.

If in a separate file you simply copy and paste that wall with the windows to your working file.

ALT-click (pipette - select settings) the window you want and place a new one in the wall you want.

Just be sure at some stage (near the end of the job) to delete that wall with all the windows so it doesn't affect any views or schedules.

You can adjust the default list in the objects, but you will need a knowledge of GDL.

The problem with this is, you can never update the default library again or switch to a new version, without having to edit the GDL all over again.

Exactly how hard easy this will be for the default library, I can't say, as I don't use it.

I have a custom library of doors and windows that do have the default sizes I want.

This is fine, as I have the GDL skills to maintain my own library.

So you have options.

None of them is a perfect solution.

Setting up a few commonly used favourites and simply setting the size as you place a window is probably the easiest one.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein

You "cannot" edit that list.  Anything other than what's in there, would be 'custom'.  You can create Favorites for each of your sizes from the window manufacturers that you use.

(Editing the list requires knowledge of GDL coding... and would be in the Developer Hub > GDL forum.)

PS. I can tell from your screenshot and dimensions that you are using the USA library/localization.  It is important when posting questions to list your version of AC, the localization and your OS... see my signature as an example.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
RTT_ADG
Booster

Am I understanding you correctly, in that I would have to save a favorite for every single window size?

Is this a General Practice or are there other solutions to what I'm trying to accomplish?

Or does everyone just edit the size of every window they add?  Seems very counter productive for a BIM program.

AC27 - Win 10
Solution

It is not so hard to just type in the size as you place a window.

Choosing from a list or typing in a figure, there is not a lot of difference apart from the actual typing of a few numbers.

There will likely be other settings you need to make as well.

This would be my preferred method.

For typical windows sizes for common windows, I would set up favourites.

Yes you will need a favourite for every variation or size you want to use - I would just do the most common ones.

I would probably set up variations (i.e. Double Hung with casements, DH with no casements, DH with raking sill, etc.) in just one or two common sizes, not for every possible size.

Another alternative to the favourites is a 'visual favourite', where you place a wall with all the different size/type windows in it.

Save this in a separate file that you can keep open in a second Archicad, it could also be set up in your template - no need for the second file then.

If in a separate file you simply copy and paste that wall with the windows to your working file.

ALT-click (pipette - select settings) the window you want and place a new one in the wall you want.

Just be sure at some stage (near the end of the job) to delete that wall with all the windows so it doesn't affect any views or schedules.

You can adjust the default list in the objects, but you will need a knowledge of GDL.

The problem with this is, you can never update the default library again or switch to a new version, without having to edit the GDL all over again.

Exactly how hard easy this will be for the default library, I can't say, as I don't use it.

I have a custom library of doors and windows that do have the default sizes I want.

This is fine, as I have the GDL skills to maintain my own library.

So you have options.

None of them is a perfect solution.

Setting up a few commonly used favourites and simply setting the size as you place a window is probably the easiest one.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
RTT_ADG
Booster

Thanks for the reply. Looks Like I have some testing to do.

Not what I was hoping for, but gives me something to look into.

I was hoping to avoid referencing a window book, looking for available sizes, then typing in fractions, and in general avoid mistakes of designers entering in wrong or unavailable window sizes.

AC27 - Win 10
RTT_ADG
Booster

A follow up question.

We will on occasion have the builder or client change the window manufacturer.

What do people generally do in that instance when you need to swap out one brand of windows for another.

Do you just have to go in and manually change and check every window?

Any information or work flow tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AC27 - Win 10

The windows in the library aren't any particular brand.

They can't even be used to produce any large scale details as they don't go into a lot of detail.

For example you can't choose the profiles used for the frames or if it is double or triple glazing.

I would use them to get as close to what you want as possible, but supplement them with manufacture's documentation for details.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27