Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to locate Library Part

Anonymous
Not applicable
Related to prior post. All documents I have read suggest examining the .gsm for an existing part, which makes sense to me, but, I'm embarrassed to say, I can't find the gsm for, for example, an existing window.

With the File>Libraries and Objects>Open Object command I get the dialogue which allows me to browse for an object, but, no matter where I search, I can't find the gsm for, for example, "Casement w Awnu 14",and therefore I can't study the scripts.

My workaround is to place a window, then select "Open Object", but I get all the specifics of the object as placed, and, with my limited knowledge, I can't distinguish betw the object as placed and the gsm for the object itself.

Thanks for any thoughts about where to look, I know it will vary from system to system, but I'll be able to work with a general direction.
4 REPLIES 4
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Paul, you probably have not unpacked your library CONTAINER.
See attached, this is what I do and keep the unpacked library in my master library folder.
Opening the placed library part opens the default library part for you to read/edit/save as.

But beware the window/door scripts CALL many MACROS. Therefore by highlighting the called script NAME
you can quickly open the macro without navigating in the finder.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rod wrote:
Paul, you probably have not unpacked your library CONTAINER.
See attached, this is what I do and keep the unpacked library in my master library folder.
Opening the placed library part opens the default library part for you to read/edit/save as.
Thank you Rod, that's a big help, now I just have to wander through all those macros...
Karl Ottenstein
No need to unpack anything guys. Just use the ctrl-shift-O (cmd-shift-O) technique as originally posted for the placed object - which opens the 'real' object, not the customized one, by the way: there is no difference - the code for a placed object is the same as the code in the library. The only difference is the values of the parameters, but when you open an object, you see the default parameter values in all cases, not the customized ones of the placed instance.

If you find any macro calls inside an opened object, highlight the macro name text in the script and press ctrl-shift-O and the macro will open. No need to go looking for it.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Karl