BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Problems with Libraries (12) in Mac-Network

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

we just upgraded from AC9 to 12. We work with G5 and Intel Macs (OSX 10.5.4) in a Mac-only network, using an Xserve as file server (OSX Server 10.4)

So far, so good. But we have massive problems when we use libraries which are located on the server. As soon as we go to a 3D window, we get tons(!) of error messages about faulty gdl parts, file not found, etc. If we use the same library copied to the local disc the problem is gone.

Although using local libraries could be seen as a workaround, we would like to use centralized libraries from the server. This problem never happened with AC9, so we assume it's a AC12 problem. It seems that the file permissions for the .lcf file get overwritten by the latest user. Very strange! Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Thomas Holm
Booster
Problem in the 3D window only?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
We also have a mac only network. We are using a Intel Mini running Leopard (Not server) and haven't had any of the problems your encountering. We keep the AC12 libraries on the local machines, but keep the office shared libraries on the server. My only guess is a permissions problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
Problem in the 3D window only?
Yes, there are also no complaints when loading the libraries. Only when I switch to any 3D view, including auto-rebuild elevations, the problem occurs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
SteveC0013 wrote:
We also have a mac only network. We are using a Intel Mini running Leopard (Not server) and haven't had any of the problems your encountering. We keep the AC12 libraries on the local machines, but keep the office shared libraries on the server. My only guess is a permissions problem.
That's what I thought initially. But the a) problem doesn't occur in AC9 and b) I checked the permissions on the xserve and propagated them to all enclosed folders (repeatedly)
Thomas Holm
Booster
sebulba wrote:
Yes, there are also no complaints when loading the libraries. Only when I switch to any 3D view, including auto-rebuild elevations, the problem occurs.
OK. What libraries do you have loaded? Where are they located respectively? Does this occur in new projects (started in AC12?)

Since you just have these issues in 3D (S/Es are generated with the internal 3D engine) I'm thinking it's something specific to your libraries and parts, and their location. The library manager seems to find everything at startup.

The recommended procedure (is like Steve Clark describes it) to keep Archicad's standard libraries local at each workstation, since they only change with upgrades and are heavily used, thus put a load on your network. AC12's speed and parallell view generation processes increases that load. If it chokes something might break.

Also, if you have a lot of old library parts, there might be some 3D issues, AC9 is old compared to 12, and they are making internal changes to the 3D engine which possibly could matter.

I think if you don't solve this soon, GS would be interested. You should report it through your reseller.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
OK. What libraries do you have loaded? Where are they located respectively? Does this occur in new projects (started in AC12?)
I have this problem in new (12) projects as well as older ones (12, but originally created in 9). The library is a fresh and unmolested German ArchCad 12 library.

Our office library contains objects from different stages of our work. Is there a way to convert them to proper 12 objects, other than opening and saving each of them?
Anonymous
Not applicable
These are 2 samples of the error messages we get. This does not happen with all library parts, which is strange.
AC ERRORS.jpg
Thomas Holm
Booster
Maybe this is getting over my head, and I guess any of the real support gurus here could give you a better answer, but:

First, I think you'd be wise to adopt the standard installation procedure: Archicad's delivered standard and localized libraries should be considered as standard parts of the program and should always be installed with the program on each workstation. They are not only used for retrieving GDL parts, but for many things around the program. And since they should not change (other than by GS hotfixes) they are actually easier to maintain this way. With any non-standard location you might run into any kind of issue, like the network performance issues mentioned above, or perhaps naming issues (path or file) like the one mentioned here.

Your own customized office library and project libraries that are subject to frequent change are of course OK to place on your office server.

Then, in the Special Menu of many Archicad versions (I'm not sure if it's in all) there is an Update Library Parts command. It's been necessary to use some times, like if you wanted older Mac (pre 6 I think) library parts to work in later (9 or so) versions etc.
When you've upgraded all workstations, you might try to update all older library parts in your office library using the Special Menu of the oldest Archicad version you're planning to use. (How to install and use the Special Menu is described elsewhere, do a Search. And always backup anything you work on before applying this)

It is possible that this procedure is more beneficial when upgrading to AC12 than before. I guess GS has made a number of internal changes to make way for the speed of AC12, and I think they will go on doing so in the coming versions, since important parts of the program (like the internal 3D engine) are showing signs of age. But however, as the program is highly modular, you will at least minimize the risks by using standard installation configurations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting. Sounds comprehensible. Thank you very much.

Learn and get certified!