BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Shadows in 3D Window

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a script to turn of an object's shadow in the 3D Window? I know how to script it for the photo renderings, but the object still casts a shadow in the 3D Window.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

You can use the SHADOW ON/OFF keyword as described in the GDL Reference Guide (page 192 in the AC13 version).

SHADOW OFF
BRICK 1, 1, 1

ADDX 2

SHADOW ON
BRICK 1, 1, 1

DEL 1

Hope this helps.

Regards, Juha
Anonymous
Not applicable
That code turns off Shadows and Vectorial Sun Shadows in the Photo Rendering Projection Window but the shadow is still there in the 3D Window.

I am trying to do a 3D Window fly-thru with shadows but with selected object's shadow casting turned off.
Karl Ottenstein
Ed,

You should edit your Profile (text link near top right corner) to list your AC version/machine/etc - or else include it in your question...

I assume you are talking about the shadows just introduced in AC 14 in the OpenGL window? If so, GS might not have thought about disabling shadows for certain objects there - might be a bug, or might be intentional...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

Right you are.

I'm trying to generate a fly-thru of a monster project that crashes whenever I turn on shadows in the OpenGL 3D Window. I was hoping there was code to turn off shadows on certain complex objects.
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Ed

Thanks for the sig and confirmation. Juha gave the solution for library objects ... for the rendering engines. But, yeah, is the OpenGL behavior you see a feature or a bug? Best to contact tech support and let them check with the developers for you. Won't help in the near term on this project - but if it is an unintended bug, maybe it can get sorted out in a future release.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect that this is a limitation of the OpenGL engine. It may be that the display geometry does not allow for selective shadow casting. I'm no OpenGL expert but this would make sense from a performance standpoint. It's one thing to just cast shadows everywhere and quite another to poll each element on the fly.
Learn and get certified!