BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Tricking memory

walkinthepark
Participant

When and if I do have a finalized library of usable seats, I will be using them to populate my arenas. A task that has steadfastly been blocked from my path because I continue to receive error messages from either Archicad V22 or Windows. In an attempt to "trick" the computer I backed up a few steps in my process, employed the services of Modelport to reduce the polygon count and file sizes of this monster I have been working on for four years. Back when I started using computers, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, technology utilized a procedure called "de-fragging" when the computer would compress all of the bites that WERE being used to leave a computer landscape that had one large area to place data into usable memory instead of finding enough space in that landscape one small crumb at a time. I don't know if that was an accurate description of how "de-fragging" actually worked, and I don't know if it is still practiced by practicing computer users or even experienced technicians. That is the first possible tool in my belt in trying to get past that memory problem.

Another way I want to attack this is by trying to access some kind of status report on Archicad or Windows that would give an accurate count of how much memory is still left, how many objects are in the project, and how many polygons those objects have. I did actally learn of the POLYGON COUNT PALETTE that gives me that bit of the puzzle. I would perform these reports before I began populating one section of the project with only the necessary layers turned on that were needed for that population, showing only the STORY I was actually working on, and using the MARQUIS tool to only select the objects within that box for the status report. I don't know if this would help before I start. Then, after completion of the population of each section, perform another set of status reports to determine how much memory had been gobbled up, how many objects and polygons had been added. After that data was tracked, I would go back in and turn off the layer that those seats were added to, then do a follow up status report that I am hoping would show the levels of memory, objects and polygons would revert to the exact same levels as I had before I added those new seats. Is that the way it would work, or would Archicad and Windows not be fooled by the layers being turned off, knowing they are still in there and having to account for them?

This all reminds me of a scene in one of my favorite movies when the character has to find a way to get 10 pounds of s__t into a 5 pound bag. I'm talking about when Gary Sinise's character Ken Mattingly has to hop into the simulator back on earth, and his mission is to find a way to power up the spacecaft using only 11 amps. That is what my challenge is, but I have no way of knowing what my 11 amps is in terms of memory, objects and polygons! I'd really like to know before I head in. The experts have unanimously told me that Archicad V22 and the Windows hardware I am using will have to be upgraded in order to get this project to the finish line. That is simply not financially feasible for someone living on SSA! Does anyone there think that building the arena a section at a time will work?

0 REPLIES 0
Learn and get certified!