BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Turning skins in composite walls.

Anonymous
Not applicable
In a window's cavity closer settings, how would you achieve the lower image where the load-bearing skin turns out to meet the outer face of the wall. I cant achieve any better than the top image!

The composite is slightly unusual as it has no outer skin (it is timber boarded and there are too many 'special' situations, so it is modelled separately), so I am wondering if the code can't cope with only three skins?

I'm sure there is a solution, but after an hour I am admitting defeat!

By the way this is in AC13, and the window is 'W M Top Hung 13'

Many thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
After looking at this it seems to me that turned skins cannot extend beyond the Frame of the Window. Which sounds logical if you think about turning plaster and insulation, but is limiting in other cases.
Probably this is how it is programmed in GDL.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
JaredBanks
Mentor
Could it be handled with a empty opening, then a wall (with the correct composite) in that empty opening with the window in the second wall? A little messy, but better than a 2D work around, perhaps.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Wait a sec.... I played around for a couple of minutes and came up with this...

1. You must use CONSIDER SKIN AS PLASTER to get it to overlap the frame
2. When you hit CONSIDER SKIN... it jumps to 1.Skin for turning
3. But even though I turned it back to 2.skin, the PLASTER concept remained (even though the parameter is unchecked).
4. Then you must use the OVERHANG parameter to get the 2nd skin past the frame... You can type any dimension you want...

Takes some "Trial and Error"..

The dialog is SKETCHY.. making edits turn on/off the main checkbox... though I believe it does not affect the result in plan...
SkinTurning.jpg
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Ooops.. also I just noticed you are going the OTHER WAY... (turning from the inside...)

I did not check to see if worked in the other direction, but just choose OPPOSITE SIDE instead of reference side...

If that doesn't work, draw your walls "inside out"!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Erika Epstein
Booster
I took the approach of turning the wall to match your description of the structural wall turning in. There are two 'L' walls mirroring the window.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
You can use 'Custom Closure' to achieve results very similar to your current goal. It is available in all national versions of ArchiCAD Library.

Using the Custom Closure feature is a bit painful but it may be worth it...

See attached picture.
custom_closure.png
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Erika Epstein
Booster
Thanks Zolt.
When I looked at this in a schedule, the quantities for the skins remains the same for all the skins, both 13 & 14. Will GS be correcting this?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for the tips and ideas!

Even after Duane & Zsolt posted the solution (which I had tried repeatedly previously ) I tried it again with limited success, but I eventually found where I had been going wrong.

It could actually be classed as a bug - Under 'Select Skin to Edit', if you select 'Reference Side', make some changes to what skins turn in and their overhang, then change your mind and select 'Opposite Side' without zeroing the changes you made and unticking the 'turn-in-skin' tickbox for each skin, those changes still effect the result you see and the new changes you make seem to have no affect.

Is there anywhere in the help files that actually explains clearly how the custom closure works? (I've looked at the developer GDL Basic Library Documentation.) What are you changing when selecting the 'Reference Side' or 'Opposite Side' parameter? Is this where the skins are numbered from? Where does it count from when the reference line is offset from the edge e.g. on the external face of the core perhaps? It's been a case of tedious trial and error to get any sort of success - a basic explanation in the help files would have helped.

It also should be noted that the above solutions only work in AC14 as there is no 'Consider Skin as Plaster' option in AC13.
skin_turning_out_in_AC14.jpg
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Erika wrote:
When I looked at this in a schedule, the quantities for the skins remains the same for all the skins, both 13 & 14. Will GS be correcting this?
Right. First of all, those wall quantities are computed based on the 3D model of the wall which doesn't show the turned skins. Second, even when we show the turned skins in 3D (for section of course) in the future, ArchiCAD won't know that those GDL based bodies should be counted as a certain skin of the wall. That would be a next step after that...

So... to sum up: these skin turnings won't be calculated correctly very soon:(

Best regards,
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Learn and get certified!