BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Use Fill tool with GDL

derekjackson
Advocate
Hi,
I'm quite new to GDL and still trying to get my head around the limits of it and how it can be used.

What I'd like to create is a couple of objects where the user draws a shape using the fill tool (or similar), and the object takes that outline as a basis for something else, eg random tree placement for masterplanning, etc.

Is there any way that GDL can use freeform drawing created by the user (either before placing the object or after), or am I limited to making objects defined by stretchable rectangles?

Seems like GDL can be quite powerful - just trying to work out where the limits are...

Thanks, Derek
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I believe such functionality is available only through the API, but not GDL.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
derekjackson
Advocate
Sounds intriguing - looking at the Graphisoft site, it seems that the API Developer Kits are available for download...

Anyone have any experience of them? I'm guessing they're more involved than the GDL - is it easy enough to make new tool types? I have a bit of a programming background (C++ / OpenGL) but not very recent.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think it is a pretty potent API.
All the Cigraph Add-Ons, all the CADImage Add-Ons, Ralph Wessel's Objective - these are all API-based Add-Ons.

As I can see the AC14 API Developer Kit is already up on the web:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/developer/downloads/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!