BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Codemeter Hardware Key conversion

jkershaw
Enthusiast

We've been using a single hardware key with several licenses for years. It's been running on an old Mac Mini running Yosemite that we are finally putting out to pasture, so I'm trying to move it to one of our more recent machines.

I've been following the instructions HERE to convert the key to HID but to no avail. I have tried using the Terminal commands on both the computer running Yosemite and the computer running Ventura. I continue to get the following error in Terminal: 

"no command given"

So I have been unable to convert the key. The firmware version is CmStick 3.10. 

Any thoughts?

Edit: the serial number begins with 3. I'm wondering if that is the issue based on this page HERE 

AC26 APPLE SILICON USA FULL 4032
Mac Studio 2022, Apple M1 Max, 64GB RAM
13.2 macOS Ventura
learning AC since version 4.5
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein

Sorry you're having this issue.  Most (?) of us changed to HID many years ago... by the automated process when installing a new version of AC, where the Wibu driver or License Admin tool (for upgrading licenses) did the conversion automatically.

As for the Terminal command, if "cmu" is entered by itself without the rest of the command line given in this article:
https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Licensing/CodeMeter-key-conversion-to-HID-mode-failed/ta-p/30376...

you should get the information about the codemeter utility (cmu) executable followed by the 'no command given ' and  a help line listing the syntax:

% cmu
cmu - CodeMeter Universal Support Tool.
Version 7.60c of 2023-Aug-09 (Build 5625) for macOS/arm64
Copyright (C) 2007-2023 by WIBU-SYSTEMS AG. All rights reserved.

Error: no command given.
use -h,/h or -?,/? or --help for help

Did you get all of that or just "no command given"?  If you got all of that, then at least cmu is installed properly.  Then, pasting:

cmu ‑‑serial x-xxxxxxx ‑‑set-config-disk HidCommunication

where you've replaced the x-xx stuff with your CM serial should give something other than 'no command given' .. be sure to edit/copy/paste to get the command text exactly including the spaces....

On the Yosemite machine, "cmu -l" should give a list of all CM keys found...listing the serial number.

Did you run the "GRAPHISOFT License Manager Tool.app" - which should have done the HID update for you?

Here are some other articles that might help if you missed them.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Licensing/Convert-CodeMeter-Hardware-key-to-HID/ta-p/304067

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Licensing/CodeMeter-key-conversion-from-KEXT-to-HID-Frequently-A...

My CM key is quite old... prefix is "2-" and CMStick firmware version is 2.04 (with no updates available)...

I'm running CodeMeter runtime/server 7.60c (9 August 2023 Build 5625) without issues.

Might end up needing to contact Tech Support...

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Thanks, Karl - 

cmu is running properly in the terminal. 

cmu "sees" the dongle.

cmu returns "no command given" when I use the proper syntax (I have some experience with Terminal commands)

all I can think is that this particular model of key cannot be updated. will contact support.

13.2 macOS Ventura
MinhNguyen
Advocate

Maybe I'm a bit late to this, but have you tried this simple tool?

https://graphisoft.com/downloads/CM_Updater?

Please note that you may need to grab an old mac or a PC to run this tool.

BIM Manager
DKO Architecture - HCMC

I tried that tool to begin with, but could not get it to download onto the old Mac.

Your post led me to a couple workarounds, and after much ado - including a search for the just the right Java RTE - the GS CM updater worked!

13.2 macOS Ventura
Learn and get certified!