BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

2d drafting problems - lines appearing and disappearing

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had a problem for many years now with my 2d elevations.
Even though I have a perfect alignment of a wall and a roof object, same material etc., perfect trim, I randomly get dividing lines in the elevations.
My solution to this has been to use cover fills on the elevations. These cover fills really aren't that bad, sometimes they can help me articulate the depth of the drawing itself.
I'd love to see an end to this, especially since I haven't found any consistency in the appearance of these errors. Sometimes perfectly aligned roofs and walls appear with lines or without lines in the same model, the north elevation might be perfect and the south might have lines. Sometimes just moving a window will reinstate some lines.
Any ideas?
Enclosing screenshots. I can also provide the model file if anyone's interested.
Thanks a million times for looking at this!

I'm using AC14 on Win7, build 3477 SWE FULL.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another screenshot.

JS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Could there be two walls or roofs in the same position? Is there anything on a hidden layer that could be affecting that junction? What did you use to form the wall to the roof; SEO or trim-to-roof? Have you tried using the other method, or re-doing your preferred method again? Any tiny inaccuracies like walls not quite at 90 degrees?

So many questions!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Could there be two walls or roofs in the same position? Is there anything on a hidden layer that could be affecting that junction? What did you use to form the wall to the roof; SEO or trim-to-roof? Have you tried using the other method, or re-doing your preferred method again? Any tiny inaccuracies like walls not quite at 90 degrees?

So many questions!
1. No hidden lines or double geometry.
2. TTR was used, Graphisoft Sweden have replied to my post and they said I could solve it with SEO, I feel like this is a bit of a compromise, TTR should work because it does in 50% of the time?
3. Re-doing sometimes gets different results. Changing the wall orientation sometimes does the same, but there is no real consistency.
4. Everything is perfectly aligned.

I wish there was a "flush tolerance" setting for materials. Anything below 1-5 mm should be ignored and treated as a single surface.

The quest goes on. I guess I'm back to creating fills and "repairing" elevations with 2d elements.

JS
Anonymous
Not applicable
So the problem is specific to the Trim to Roof command?

I guess this is why I haven't seen it since I have been using SEOs for this since AC 9. Trying to stick with TtR may be a losing battle as it is really an old feature and is likely not to receive much support going forward.

I don't see using SEO as a compromise but rather a better practice. The only problem I've had with it is when linking separate story modules which (obviously) can't preserve SEO relationships between the modules, but there are workarounds to this (one of which is TtR of course).
Erich
Contributor
Matthew wrote:
TtR...is really an old feature and is likely not to receive much support going forward.
I hope this isn't the case. While I primarily use the SEO function, the TTR function still has it's place and is very useful. I wouldn't want to see it go away.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
Matthew wrote:
TtR...is really an old feature and is likely not to receive much support going forward.
I hope this isn't the case. While I primarily use the SEO function, the TTR function still has it's place and is very useful. I wouldn't want to see it go away.
Oh, I don't think it will go away anytime soon. Just don't expect improvements.
Learn and get certified!