BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC14 "explore" bug with external monitor

R Muller
Enthusiast
The "explore" function does not work in 3D when the 3D window is displayed on a secondary monitor attached to my MacBook Pro. It did work in AC13.

I normally use an external monitor in dual-screen mode with my laptop. After some experimentation, I find that when I put the 3D window on my laptop screen instead of on the external monitor, the explore function works. When I move the same 3D window back to the external screen, the explore function doesn't work. If I set up the computer to use only the large external screen, with my laptop screen turned off, then the explore function does work on the large monitor screen. So it seems to be a problem of using two screens, rather than any problem with the external screen itself.

Here's a description of the problem: After clicking on explore, the cursor disappears, and the view of the model changes drastically (in one model I am looking straight down at the floor, in another the model disappears entirely so I am looking at white space). The preview shows the view angle changed to almost 180º. This happens with the internal engine as well as the Open GL.

I tried various changes in the work environment, including using the standard default AC14 environment, reverting to my previously saved AD13 work environment, etc. but nothing helped.

I assume this means that when I use a projector, I will need to use it in mirror mode as a work-around, rather than dual screen mode. (Normally I use the projector in dual screen mode when I am showing the model "live" to a client, so that I can keep all my toolbars and palettes on the laptop screen and the client will not see them. This also allows me to keep the image larger for the projection.)

My laptop is a 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory and 15" screen, in case this has any relevance. It is about 2 1/2 years old. I am using the up to date OSX 10.6.4.

I hope this is useful to others who will probablly encounter this problem.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
13 REPLIES 13
Durval
Enthusiast
It also happens here, exactly the way you described. AC14 MacBook Pro Intel Core i7 4GB RAM.
--- www.dtabach.com.br ---
AC 24 BR – MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Mac OS 10.14
JaredBanks
Mentor
I have the reverse issue . Works fine on my external monitor, but not on my laptop monitor. Which monitor has the menu bar / dock on it? My external is the primary monitor (has menu bar / dock) and everything works fine on it. I'm guessing that when you plug in a projector, if that's the primary, you'll be okay.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,
I am also having the same problem with ArchiCAD 14. 3D Explore works as it always did in AC 13 on my Mac Pro Desktop when I view the 3D window on just my main monitor. If I move the 3D window over to the second monitor, the cursor disappears and my building drops out of sight.

Since I draw using the 3D window on my second monitor and frequently use 3D Explore to monitor what I am drawing this is very frustrating. I hope this bug is fixed soon!

By the way, AC 14 3D Explore does work well on my MacBook Pro with the screen mirrored on a projector. I haven't tried it paired, but at least I can do presentations as usual with the screens mirrored!

If anyone has a workaround for this please let me know!
Thanks
Gail

Mac Pro Desktop 2 x 2.26 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Mac OSX Version 10.5.8
2 Viewsonic screens
Many years experience with various versions of ArchiCAD
Karl Ottenstein
Gail wrote:
Hello all,
I am also having the same problem with ArchiCAD 14. 3D Explore works as it always did in AC 13 on my Mac Pro Desktop when I view the 3D window on just my main monitor. If I move the 3D window over to the second monitor, the cursor disappears and my building drops out of sight.
Hi Gail,

It works for me on my Mac Pro with a ViewSonic and Dell monitor... but I'm running Snow Leopard. There have been various graphics updates to Snow Leopard - not sure if they were released for Leopard (?), which you have. I've got an old, slow ATI 2600 card in my system. What card is in your system?

If you do not move your mouse at all upon entering Explore mode, your model just disappears?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Carl,
Maybe I should upgrade to Snow Leopard!

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, installed by Apple.

What happens is that when I have selected the view from a camera to open in the 3D window, I can see the camera view as planned. If I then click on the 3D Explore button (the little man), as soon as the Explore mode starts, I can see my building dropping down out of the window and my cursor disappears. I don't even get a chance to move my mouse!

In the Navigator Preview window the green arrow collapses so that the viewpoint and the look-to-point come together. (The end of the arrow disappears into the arrowhead, and you can watch it happen as your building disappears.)

I originally thought it might be related to the fact that I had a 3D connexion input device for viewing 3D and I went into the 3D Navigation extras and changed my mode to Camera mode. That worked for a few minutes, but eventually the 3d window froze and crashed the program.

I closed the program, took the 3D connexion device off my computer, restarted, uninstalled ArchiCAD, restarted, reinstalled ArchiCAD 14 and its update, restarted without 3D connexion attached, and... the same problem occurred! So its not the 3D connexion input device (which did work well on AC13).

So, I have moved my 3D window to my main monitor, where it is working fine, and my 2D to the auxiliary monitor, and will await further developments!

Thank you very much and please let me know if there is anything else I should try!

Gail
Karl Ottenstein
Wow, you've done a great job trying different options! Newer computer than mine with the 4870. I've got a SpaceNavigator plugged in also, so doubt if that was it, as you saw.

The immediate moving does not sound like a graphics card issue - since you can literally watch it happen. Cannot imagine any OpenGL or other acceleration settings that would cause the behavior you're describing. It sounds more like something is making your machine "think" that the mouse is moving. Pretty weird!

Have you tried a different mouse? (Doubtful that it would help, but what the heck.)

Just in case some loaded extension/helper is interfering, have you tried creating a fake user account on your machine and trying to reproduce the problem there? The new account won't be loading all of the stuff that your personal account is loading.

Shooting in the dark!

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I am confirming this bug as well. AC14 + iMac + Snow Leopard + second monitor. Works fine on the main monitor. In my case Nav Preview shows the view to be straight up. Spinning my trackball as fast as I can tilts the view arrow downward for a split second, then it pops back. Changing mouse does not fix. Emailing US Tech Support today.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Update: US Tech Support reports that it has already been reported to Development.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
Learn and get certified!