BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC17 Can't modify witness line of a single dimension node

Anonymous
Not applicable
In AC 17, we seem to no longer be able to modify the witness line length for a single node of a Floor Plan dimension string.

In AC16, I could select a single node, right-click for the Pet Palette, and modify the witness line by dragging to the desired length. In AC17, the Pet Palette only appears when selecting the entire dim string, and not when selecting a single dimension node.

(I"m aware we can manually enter a distance by opening the Dimension Settings Dialogue Box, but I'd greatly prefer the old dragging method using the Pet Palette.)

Any help please?
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
You must have the dimension tool active and then shift-select the node.
Then you must drag on the main dimension line for the pet palette to appear.
In previous version you could drag the actual node but not in 17.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah yes, this works!
The pet pallet function was hiding.

Thanks for your time, Barry.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This question came up on another Forum so I checked the whole thing and here is what I have found:

I feel we have lost functionality in AC17, which could and should be restored.
Up till AC16, with the Dimension Tool active, using SHIFT-click you selected a Dimension Point the Witness Line of which you wanted to adjust. Then, without moving the cursor anywhere, you could again click on the Dimension Point itself to start defining the new length of the Witness Line. ArchiCAD knew that if you select just one Dimension Point and click it again you want to adjust its Witness Line length.
So it offered a very fast way of adjusting a single Witness Line and it worked pretty fast. (Of course, when you select two or more Dimension Points to adjust with SHIFT-click this does not apply.)

However, since AC17 this does not work anymore when you click the Dimension Point after SHIFT-clicking it. Now you have to move your cursor to some other portion of the Dimension Line where the cursor senses only the Dimension Line (Mercedes cursor) and click there for the Pet Palette to appear so you can select the proper Pet Palette command and start adjusting its Witness Line Length. In AC16 ArchiCAD assumed that if you click on the Dimension Point after selecting it you want to adjust its Witness Line so it automatically used that command of the Pet Palette (the Pet Palette did not even appear).

I think this functionality should be restored so that we can adjust the length of individual Witness Lines very swiftly like we used to be able to do.

What do you guys think?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
laszlonagy wrote:
This question came up on another Forum so I checked the whole thing and here is what I have found:

What do you guys think?
+1
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
laszlonagy wrote:

What do you guys think?
I am in favor of that.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have actually communicated this to GS Tech Support so I am sure they will forward it to the developers.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!