BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Anything like XREF's in ArchiCAD?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I've just started using ArchiCAD again after working primarily in AutoCAD for the last 8 years.
I am used to XREF's. If I was working in AutoCAD and was rubber stamping buildings over a site masterplan, I would draw a building in one file, then xref it and others into the masterplan drawing. Then, if the building needed to change, I could do this in the original drawing and the change would be reflected in all instances of that building in the masterplan drawing.

As far as I can see this is not possible in ArchiCAD.. Please let me be wrong.
Thanks for any help or feedback..
Nick.
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
NickMcLeod wrote:
As far as I can see this is not possible in ArchiCAD.. Please let me be wrong.
Thanks for any help or feedback..
Nick.
You are wrong.
It can be done in two ways.
The "proper" Archicad way is called Hotlinking.
You model your buildings in separate files and then "hotlink" these into you master file.
Any adjustments are done in the original files and affect all placed instances of the hotlink.
So just like your Xref.

THe other method is to do it as an Xref - appearently just the same as in Autocad.
I have never used the Xref method so I can't say what the difference is but they sound pretty much identical to me.

Both are found in the FILE > EXTERNAL CONTENT menu.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Beautiful..
Thank you so much. This is just the thing to solve about 5% of my headaches.. More to come later. 🙂
Yours,
Nick.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you come from an AutoCAD background then the following book will probably save you a lot of time and effort:

http://www.cadgarage.com/arforauusbo2.html
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kapow!
That is a valuable looking purchase. I'm on it.
Thanks!
Nick.
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
NickMcLeod wrote:
I am used to XREF's. If I was working in AutoCAD and was rubber stamping buildings over a site masterplan, I would draw a building in one file, then xref it and others into the masterplan drawing.
I'm also using AC for masterplanning and have for the past 6-7 years. I'm currently working in an office 99% Autocad
So Archicad works very well with xref Autocad drawings, and for 3d models as Barry said, use Modules (hotlink them in). It's basically placing an Archicad file inside another Archicad file
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Learn and get certified!