BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 14 freezes up/crashes/slow

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anybody else having crashes, freezes, slow action in ArchiCAD 14? the program acts like it is busy with something and I have to wait until it is ready when for example using the orbit tool. Orbit a bit, then it gets tired? and makes me wait.
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mines not crashing or hanging, but is slower than 12 (never loaded 13) by an
annoying amount, but don't have bench mark on it.
And I don't have open GL shadows on.
BTW; Just before AC opens I get this flash screen; something to the effect that Archicad is not responding, but then opens.
Graphisoft, can we please get the petal to the metal on 1st hot fix?
Good luck.
JaredBanks
Mentor
So far, other than the screen turning black for a split second when I'm regenerating in 3D, I'm having smooth running on v14. Are the shadows turned on in open GL? On my old machine, which ran 11-13 well to okay, having the shadows on was painful. Newer machine and everything's much better.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
lec1212 wrote:
Mines not crashing or hanging, but is slower than 12 (never loaded 13) by an annoying amount, but don't have bench mark on it.
lec-
If you check the Archicadwiki, there is an article under "64 bit" that states that if the only change is running a project under 64 bits (which was running fine under 32 bits), it will likely be slower. This may be what you're experiencing.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
lec1212 wrote:
Mines not crashing or hanging, but is slower than 12 (never loaded 13) by an annoying amount, but don't have bench mark on it.
lec-
If you check the Archicadwiki, there is an article under "64 bit" that states that if the only change is running a project under 64 bits (which was running fine under 32 bits), it will likely be slower. This may be what you're experiencing.
Thanks for the reply Richard.

That might be it with migrated 12file.
Only new 14 file I have yet is a sm 3.5meg that I'm testing Objective out with and it does open pretty fast with minor exception which might have to do with some add-ons that are not present since the file was modified by Ralph in our training lesson and the little spinning wheel keeps going round and round and round until I just use spinning wheel to click ok.
Kinda odd.
BTW. Objective Rules! What a great tool.

Update: Added image of other AC 14 slow/no close issue.
Happens with file created in 14, but not all the time,(intermittent) when closing.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Mine crashes unexpectedly, mostly when going from one Viewpoint to another or zooming or generating stuff.
What I noticed is the hard drive is always working like mad when this happens.
So I figured this may be because my system is old, the files are fragmented and the system needs to use the hard drive a lot to free up memory.
For some reason ArchiCAD doesn't like that and crashes.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
My AC14 seems to have recently gotten into the habit of crashing more often. Yesterday it crashed 4 times in about 20 minutes. I figured it was a file issue (I have a pan deck object in the file that generates script error messages in elevations/sections/3D), but the working in a completely separate project, AC crashed, AS I WAS CLOSING IT at the end of the day, AND, THERE WAS NO BACKUP OR AUTOSAVE!! AAKK!

Autosave was set to every 10 steps (which is different from how AC12 and 13 were set), and create Backup was selected. I've gone through my system and my server, 95% of my day's work is gone!

I'm usually pretty good about saving, but I got into a design groove and stayed busy all day. I could have sworn I did some saves manually, but the computer record does not agree.

Before this last crash, ArchiCAD seemed to crash when switching between windows, usually involving a 3D window or elevation (which is why I was thinking it was that bad element). But I've also noticed that if I'm working in the floor plan view and there are other views open behind it, the only way I can actually get to those views is to doubleclick the view in the Project Map/View Map. I can't get to it with keyboard shortcuts or picking it off the Window menu. This issue seems to be worse when there are windows that are actually minimized to the dock, rather than just being open in the background. Last night when AC crashed and took my day's work with me, I had the floorplan, an independent worksheet, a 3D camera view and a rendered picture all minimized to the dock.

What's the feeling here? Is this a file issue? And ArchiCAD issue? A computer issue? Should I attempt an unistall/reintsall? Wait for a hotfix? Call AppleCare and vent to them for an hour or so?
Anonymous
Not applicable
ive had the same problems on a i5 imac 14 crashed 6 times on the 13th/
i was told it was a sonix webcam driver... and other issues to be updated in a bug-fix/ my crashes ended in 13 or 14 not opening.. until i emptied the preferences for graphisoft

it seems to corrupt the graphisoft preference files so each time i go the the user folder /library/preferences and i thrash all of the graphisoft files/ just like the old days with os 7 8 or 9 this will keep the program working but doesnt stop the crashes
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using AC14 INT (32-bit) on a MacBook Pro 17" late 2007 model, with Snow Leopard.

I have been using ArchiCAD since the days of AC7. In my experience, 7, 8 and 9 were the last really stable versions, of which 9 was, IMHO the best AC so far.

Since 10, things started going wrong and my AC got into a habit of crashing on me. Not so consistently as the latest two AC's, but it was just regular enough to become noticeable. The problem I have with 14 is not only does it crash regularly and unpredictably, it is SLOW.

But that is not the worst of all: I am the only user of Archicad in a company of 1000+ employees who are very loyal Revit / AutoCAD users. Because I have always believed in the product, I have kept up my service agreement with my local AC reseller, and paid for it myself. Not only that, everybody in our office knows that I am an avid supporter of ArchiCAD. What should I do when I am asked to give a demo or something to show AC's capabilities?:oops:

BTW, for the benefit of the users of older AC versions out there who are thinking of upgrading to 14: I have tried it on Win 7 32 AND 64-bit and AC either does not install (32-bit) properly, or it does not run at all (64-bit). And I tried all the help on the Archicad Wiki as well as my local AC guy. NO LUCK.

I am now working in AC12 and I have had to forego the new enhancements in AC14 as a result, but at least I can work longer that 10 minutes without AC crashing on me. I'm just beginning to wonder if I should not cancel that maintenance agreement.... at least until there is a stable version available.????
Karl Barker
Participant
I have been trialling AC14 on only two files so far and found that it has been not too unstable. however, that said, if my computer is not shut down the night before, I have found that it drops its bundle every five minutes.
It is almost as if I am working to fast for it.
I found that if I was patient, and waited to click on things once windows had fully regenerated it was fine, however, if not, any fast click would bring up the bug reporter.
A quick restart and reset of the parameter ram seems to do the trick each time.

A little frustrating though.
perhaps it is time for one of those nice new i7 iMacs.
my current one is 3 years old.

Also, AC14 seems to be using up more ram for what was the sae file in AC13.
could be twice the ram, before I even start doing anything.

Cheers,
Karl.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Learn and get certified!