BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad START Edition 2008

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone see this? "BIM for the rest of us"?

http://www.graphisoftus.com/start_edition/
7 REPLIES 7
Geof Gainer
Booster
Is Teamwork the only thing disabled? Could be a competition-buster for small offices.

For those interested among us with the current AC, how will upgrades be handled?

G
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
Geof Gainer
Booster
Hmm, maybe not. There's a lot that's not there a small office could still use.

http://www.graphisoftus.com/start_edition/start_comparison.php
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
Anonymous
Not applicable
any word of a UK edition? or international edition?

Would it be possible for someone in UK to buy a the US start edition from a US reseller? - Exhange rates are pretty good for us at the minute.
Thomas Holm
Booster
One question: Can Archicad 11 Save a file in Start format? (That would make it an alternative for an AC-using office when extralicenses are needed for small projects)
I'd like to see a comparison with Vectorworks.
I'd also like to see the long-term market reasoning behind this. Nemetschek owns both- is it an indication that they see more long-term potential in Archicad than in Vectorworks, and therefore release this Lite version as a test if it's market-viable? Why else?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
The most serious downside I see is that the START application can't read full Archicad files. File portability is a one-way street.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas

Start edition is not a new thing since Nemechek took over.
I recall that there when AC10 was out , the start edition was basically version 9.

There could be a market for this product. I am struggling to persuade my boss to shell out £2500 for AC11. Whereas £1000 for start edition might be do-able.

The lack of lightworks render engine is biggest big down side IMHO , the rest we could cope with . Would it still be able to output to artlantis?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just seen this and thought excellent! I use archicad purely for modelling for visualisation and can't help the feeling that im paying for (or my boss is paying for) a heap of productivity tools that I never use. However on closer inspection there seems to be a lot of the modelling stuff cut out of it so it looks like a no go which is a shame. I mean no profile manager! I do have Objective though so that could plug a few holes but I know there would be times where I would go for a tool and it wouldn't be there which would be very frustrating. It's also frustrating using modelling software that has such slow development due to the fact that development time is obviously spent on other things than just the 3D side. I wish there was a break away team that just developed the modelling side and sold that as a separate package!
Learn and get certified!