BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Automatic Dimensioning - Exterior Dimensioning issue

yahavsa
Contributor

Hello
When I build an "L" shaped wall using a wall with finishes (for example "Generic Exterior Wall"), then change the bottom of the "L" to a wall without finishes (for example "Generic Interior Wall"), then change the view to Core Only and then use Automatic Dimensioning with dimensions of Overall Dimension Under Exterior Dimensioning I get a measurement that starts at the wrong location of the wall core. I come across this issue many times and I would like to know what I am doing wrong. Attached a picture, thanks.

Overall Dimension Issue.png

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

I can reproduce it but don't have a reason why.

Except a guess it has something to do with the length of the horizontal wall reference line.

It is probably extending to the hidden left outer face of the vertical wall.

Pull it in and it works as expected.

BarryKelly_0-1701673674104.png

If they are both the same wall and the reference lines touch, then it also works as expected.

Again I don't really know why.

BarryKelly_1-1701673740084.png

My suggestion (other than stretching reference lines) it to forget the automatic dimension.

I find, by the time you set it up, place the dimension and check they are all as they should be, then fix what is wrong, it is easier to just add the dimensions exactly as you want in the first place.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi @yahavsa and @Barry Kelly 

I have just reproduce the case and same error occurs. It must be a bug that should be reported to GS support team.

Anyway, what Barry said is true, if you want to be 100% precise place dimensions manually.

Regards. -

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-27 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI WE75 9TK, 32GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000

Hi @Barry Kelly and @Ricardo Lopez 

Thank you both for your quick reply.

I know that manual measurement is a solution that will work, but I encounter this problem in many places in my projects so it can take me a very long time to do it manually. Also, in a situation where you have to make changes and then measure again and then make manual changes to the measurements, it will take even longer... Anyway, if there is a way I can report the problem to the GS support team, I would appreciate it if you could guide me on how to do this.  Thanks again!

Hi @yahavsa,

You can contact your local Graphisoft partner for official support using this form: https://graphisoft.com/contact-us

Anyway I know Graphisoft team is always aware of this forum.

Regards. - 

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-27 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI WE75 9TK, 32GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000

I will report this issue to GS HQ.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Botonis
Advisor

In the picture the wall fills have different colour so maybe these are different walls. Are the material priorities affect this behaviour? Are they set correctly? Just curious. 

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
Learn and get certified!