BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex profile? or is there a better way?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I have archiCAD 10 a I am designing a bar, I am having trouble with the elbowrest, I need it to look like the one on this bar

I was able to make this one using the wall tool with a custom complex profile which worked fine

But the bar I am working on now is L shaped so the part I am having trouble with is this corner

I can not figure out how to put a radius like this on a wall with a complex profile is it even possible? or is there a better way to create this elbowrest?

Thanks alot! And if any one has any suggestions about how I can improve my renderings I would appreciate that also. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
In later versions, the complex profile can be drawn as a curved wall.

In Ancient Archicad 10, you must first create the curved path with an arc and then magic wand the profile to it as a series of short wall segments.

How you do this is:

Visit the magic wand settings, set 'linear segments' to 1/2" or something short like that.

You'll get overlapping segments that approximate the curve.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
thank you so much! I really need to get your book ASAP!
Dwight
Newcomer
Perhaps we can trade for wine.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
lol, I would but we sell the wine racks, i'd be happy to trade you a custom wine rack/cabinet
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a feeling from the photographs that the trim carpenter used the same reference material when he built the reference bar edge.

My Canadian window manufacturer from Canada segmented the curve for my custom windows, and you can also see it in real life.

The same thing happened with a radiused exterior solar shading device I modeled.

I have a feeling we're on to something.

Can I have some wine, too? 😄

Anyway, here's my question along these lines:

I have been exploring hyperbolic paraboloid roofs on a smaller scale than the Fentress Bradburn Denver airport, but with similar sensibilities. For residential projects, it is a way of achieving dramatic site-sensitive architecture on a budget, while directing stormwater where you want it.

I have tried using the mesh tool on a skeleton of sloped beams, but with limited success. Do I need to start purchasing plug-in software or can ArchiCAD handle it?

Please advise.

B.S.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,

Just saw your "mesh to roof" suggestion RE: curved roof. I'll try and locate that plug-in.

B.S.
Dwight
Newcomer
bswain1 wrote:

I have been exploring hyperbolic paraboloid roofs Do I need to start purchasing plug-in software or can ArchiCAD handle it?

B.S.
With initials like those, how can anyone believe what you say?

What you need is Tentmaker.
Perhaps someone can direct you to to it.
Perhaps it is in the depository?
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Thank you.

Now, if everyone gets this, and they should, seeing as how it is a virtuoso piece of coding work, Graphisoft will have one less feature to actually design into the application and can focus on marketing or something else, like improving the rendering engine or something.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!