BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Construction lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to draw either an infinite horizontal or vertical line - like it is done in Autocad ? This is practical to draw many lines at the same level but sectioning it.

I know that there are guides that appear when the cursor hovers around a point long enough. (By the way, I also couldn't find the default shortcut symbol- which is the paragraph symbol- for prompting the guides without the delay. I have a US keyboard setting)
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
house101 wrote:
Is there a way to draw either an infinite horizontal or vertical line - like it is done in Autocad ? This is practical to draw many lines at the same level but sectioning it.
What do you need this for/what are you trying to achieve with drawing lines?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
from the view menu, select <ruler>;

rulers appear top and side of plan window.

click and drag guidelines as required.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't know about the ruler tool, thx.
However, I was hoping to use those construction lines as part of my drawing: for instance, drawing more than one aligned line segments by way of cutting the infinite construction line with the split or trim tool.
Dwight
Newcomer
house101 wrote:
I didn't know about the ruler tool, thx.
However, I was hoping to use those construction lines as part of my drawing: for instance, drawing more than one aligned line segments by way of cutting the infinite construction line with the split or trim tool.
I apologize for stepping in here, but when people come to Archicad from drafting, they often rely on outmoded concepts to assist them.

The infinite guide line is one of these things. Not only is it a hold-over from computer drafting, it goes all the way back to 6H pencil drafting.

Allow me this observation:

Archicad is different. While in recent years the developers have given a nod to 'drafting' by providing the temporary guidelines feature, real Archicadders use mouse constraints and ACTUAL BIM procedures to place walls and 3D forms immediately, aligning other forms to these in assembling built form.

There's no consequence to editing 3D shapes in archicad, while in the old days, drafted linework represented a commitment and erasures were time consuming. Study the alignment constraints and other Archicad tools to work immediately with wall tools and leave lines behind.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!