BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curtain Wall Tool-The Details

rgarand
Booster
Hello all,

I have managed to work out a simple storefront entryway with the curtain wall tool, although it would of been quicker to build it with slabs/walls...anyway.

See the attached image showing some small gaps left behind. I deleted a vertical frame near the top of the door, the frame stops half way down from where is should be. I tried to vertically stretch this so that it aligns with the horiz. frame piece but was unsuccessful. Any thoughts on how to make this look right.

Also the door sill has a similar problem. When I changed the panel to a door the bottom frame stayed...I tried to delete this piece of frame and it would not disappear. I chose to make it invisible, but now I have the problem you can see in the image.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

CWall1.jpg
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
14 REPLIES 14
__archiben
Booster
rgarand wrote:
the curtain wall tool quite frankly baffles me, but have you tried switching your boundary frames to "Inside Grid". might not make the hole at the top disappear, but it might resolve the threshold issue?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Maybe try downloading the library update from your Help menu? According to the release notes it looks like these errors ~may~ have been addressed.

Cheers,
Link.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rgarand wrote:
Hello all,

I have managed to work out a simple storefront entryway with the curtain wall tool, although it would of been quicker to build it with slabs/walls...anyway.

See the attached image showing some small gaps left behind. I deleted a vertical frame near the top of the door, the frame stops half way down from where is should be. I tried to vertically stretch this so that it aligns with the horiz. frame piece but was unsuccessful. Any thoughts on how to make this look right.

Also the door sill has a similar problem. When I changed the panel to a door the bottom frame stayed...I tried to delete this piece of frame and it would not disappear. I chose to make it invisible, but now I have the problem you can see in the image.

TIA
I think this problem comes from the Frame Intersection Priority numbers.
You have a T-joint and 3 Frames. The T-joint is defined by the Scheme.
First, the Frame with the highest Frame Intersection Priority number will be extended till the T-joint intersection point. Then the next one with the highest Frame Intersection Priority number and so one.
If a vertical and a horizontal have the same Frame Intersection Priority number, they will form an L-joint.
If you have a horizontal and a vertical coming into the same joint then the one with the highest Frame Intersection Priority number will not be extended till the intersection point but will be shortened so that it extends only to the side of the perpendicular Frame.

In your case I am guessing the vertical Frame's Frame Intersection Priority number is the highest of the three, This is why the two horizontal ones to not extend till the intersection point.

You can do what Ben suggested because then the Scheme grid will be at the outside of the Boundary Frames so the vertical Frame will extend to their outside which give a good result.

Or you can decrease the Frame Intersection Priority number of the vertical Frame.

There are a lot of possibilities to achieve the desired result.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
rgarand wrote:

TIA
Another thing:
Do I see it correctly that there is a gap below the Door?
I guess you set the Boundary Frame below the Door to invisible. That is what usually gives this result.
There is a way to extend the Door all the way down:
In the Curtain Wall System Settings Dialog, choose Curtain Wall System on the left vertical panel, and in the Member Placement panel, choose the Inside Grid radio button.
Then select the Frames below the Door and set their thickness to zero.
Also, in the Frame Type and Geometry Panel, set the value of the "d" parameter to zero so that the Door can extend till the Schemed Grid axis and not stop 20-30 mm sooner.
That will do the trick.

Edit: based on Djordje's question in the next post, one addition: this is needed only when there is a Boundary Frame below the Door. Normally, in a general panel no such tricks are needed.
CW-BoundaryFrameBelowDoor.png
Djordje
Ace
Hm ... can the frame just below the door not be deleted and that's it?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Boundary Frames cannot be deleted.
rgarand
Booster
Thanks for the responses everyone. Laszlo's info worked out well.

I was able to lower the door threshold by defining the bottom boundary frame with a height and a width of 0. Then I set the priorities, as described, for the other pieces of framework and all seemed to work out just fine. See the attached image of the result.

The curtain wall tool is very complex. Thanks to Laszlo for a bit of insight and direction.
CW2.jpg
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You are welcome.
Yes, it is a complex tool, but that also means a lot of possibilities once you know how to use it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't change the height of the curtain wall... isn't it editable??
Thanks
Learn and get certified!