BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved railing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good day all,
I am trying to make an existing railing in an old row house. I have no idea on how to create this railing transition. Can someone help. Graphisoft has not replied to my question as of yet. I know that i need to be able to take a curved section and elevate one end but I am not sure how to do that. i have attached a pdf of the section of the railing that i need to create. I stopped using the stair maker since it really is not able to be customized and it does not give you substantial hotspots to add stuff to it.
2 REPLIES 2
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
tjbota wrote:
I am trying to make an existing railing in an old row house. I have no idea on how to create this railing transition. Can someone help.
Try making it with OBJECTiVE
Using the tools it provides, you could do the following (refer to the attached image):
  • 1. Draw a cross section though the handrail using the fill tool, and use OBJECTiVE > Component > New profile to make a new profiled object
    2. Place an instance of the object where the transition is required
    3. Use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend to shape the profile to the transition curve in plan
    4. Viewing the object in elevation, use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Offset to offset the end of the transition to the required height
    5. Optionally - if the transition needs to be cut to meet the next handrail segment - you can use OBJECTiVE > Tools > Split to cut the transition end to the correct angle
    6. The finished item in 3D
    7. The profiled objects also have options to be extended at a tangent to the start/end
    8. A stair under construction using these tools
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
While i really appreciate you showing me this add on to ArchiCAD. I did not realize that this was an add on in your post. This is something that should be able to be done in the program. Railings are common entities in the building profession. Curved entities are common in the building profession. Is there anyone out there that can suggest a solution that is part of the program and you don't need to pay more money for. The program can evidently do the things because people have created these add-ons. The inconsistencies in the program are starting to be a little daunting.
Learn and get certified!