BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dashed objects....

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi

i'm new to archicad.... my project has existing walls & columns that are going to be demolished & as such i want to indicate them as dashed on the elevations. As it is early days in the project i want the elevations to remain linked to the model. Can archicad assign a linetype to a object or layer?

thanks

dom
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Set all of the walls on your demo layer to be dashed. It would be nice if just moving these walls to that layer would change the wall settings, but this is not the case. You can however select all of the walls on the demo layer at once and make those changes without effecting any other parameters of the wall. Do this in the 3D window if there are multiple stories and do a little research on "find and select"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike

Sorry about the delay, went on leave.

That only appears to work on plan, how do i get a dashed wall on elevation?

dom
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think there are 3D line type options (unless that snuck into v10 without my noticing).

Two ways I can think of:

1. Use a transparent material with a fill pattern (dots for grey or dashed diagonal lines come to mind) to indicate the demolished parts. This requires that transparency is on in the elevations so you have to set your glass material to 49% transmittance if you don't want to see through them (it still renders fairly well this way).

3. Make views of the elevations with just the demo layers on, convert to drawings and make the lines dashed. These can then be overlaid on the main elevation views in the layouts. You will have to repeat the change to dashed lines each time you update the demo elevation views, but that shouldn't be very often (if at all) unless the scope of demo keeps changing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Mathew, I used a long winded version option 2. I manually traced over the demolition layer then turned it off. Your way is definately better.

Still wish you could assign line styles to a layer like Mircostation can though. Maybe in the next revision.

Cheers & thanks again to all that help. I appreciate it.

Dom
Learn and get certified!