Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Doors

Zdenko
Booster

placed 2 types of doors in plan view in conjunction with log walls. the owner came back and wanted to add a 4' concrete decorative stone perimeter for the log walls to sit on. so now i have successfully placed conc. wall and log walls, however, now the doors don't cut through the conc. wall? not sure how to re-generate the door openings to show in the new conc. wall.

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Sonoma 14.4.1

Archicad 27 (3001 USA Full Intel Based MAC)
Sonoma 14.4.1
16 REPLIES 16

I'd probably do the same and should have stressed the usefulness of the Opening tool in my original response. Although using a door opening is a viable solution and probably the better workaround before the Opening tool was introduced, using an opening would avoid having an "extra door" that you don't want to show up in your door schedule as well.

Andrew Arkell

AC 18-27 USA 4060
HP Z6 G4 Workstation | Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6226R CPU @ 2.90GHz | Windows 10

good morning and hope everyone had a good weekend. i will try your solution this morning barry and appreciate everyone's assistance!!

Sonoma 14.4.1

Barry that worked like a charm! however, i can't remember the sequencing of how i did it the first time 🙂 regardless thank you!

Sonoma 14.4.1

Easiest way I think is to just place your doors and widows in your log wall in plan with the correct head heights to storey.

Then view in 3D with the lower concrete wall turned on.

When ever you see a door or window that is cut off, place a rectangular opening object in the concrete wall nearby and then just stretch the corners to match the bottom of the door or window.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

that is what i ended up doing after figuring out that 3d was much more straight forward. thank you Barry...

my follow up to this would be will it impact my take off when i need to determine square footage of wall material. not there yet but just wondering if i may need to re-think setting up zones?

Sonoma 14.4.1

@Zdenko wrote:

my follow up to this would be will it impact my take off when i need to determine square footage of wall material. not there yet but just wondering if i may need to re-think setting up zones?

Take offs should be correct.

Only the part of the door opening in the log wall will be deducted, not the entire opening.

And the opening in the concrete wall will be deducted from that.

So areas and volumes of the walls should be correct - I would test on a single wall to make sure.

Relating the walls to a zone should still be OK.

But you may not get the zone area to fill into the door recess, because the log wall base will be above the zone base height.

It should fill into the opening in the concrete wall, but as there is not frame, I am not sure you can control the depth it goes into the opening.

I can't say it is something I have tried.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

thanks for the heads up and once i go through this process i will let you know.

Sonoma 14.4.1

Setup info provided by author