BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Flat steel library profile maker

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does any one know of a flat steel profile maker like Steelselect's profile maker for shs/chs beams
11 REPLIES 11
Erich
Contributor
Peter,

Do you have an example of what you are looking for? It is not clear what you are wanting and looking at the Steelselect site is not helping.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Objective?
Anonymous
Not applicable
complex profiles ? - set for beams or columns;

for standard sections, Options>Import Standard Steel Profiles to transfer profiles to complex profile manager for use.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't know about the option to import standard steel profiles. I've been using the steel objects, which in the U.S. version include the steel profiles.

It appears that the profiles can only be imported one at a time. Not sure why it was done this way since the program already reads the data base required for the objects. Seems like a simple matter to include the standard profiles as part of the program rather than having to import profiles one by one. It would also be really nice to have a couple of labels to note beams and columns. This would be a nice opportunity for Graphisoft to give us another tool to let us think we got something new.
Karl Ottenstein
I'm not sure why you say that you have to import a single profile at a time?

When you are in the Standard Steel Profile Database (AC 14), there is a list of Available Profiles. You can do a cmd-A / ctrl-A to select them all, or shift click the ones you want, and then add them all. You would have to go through each geometry (C, H, T, U, etc.) but would then have them all - if you need to bog down your file with that many attributes.

Once you have them all in one file, you can transfer all of the profiles, in one step, to another project using Attribute Manager.

Using the profiles with the beam or column tool, you will still not have the control over the end conditions that you have with the steel library parts though.

Still, it is huge value that Graphisoft provided this large selection of international profiles in 14.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl,

I didn't know this. As of today, I didn't even know one could import the steel sections. I still think regional standard steel sections should be part of the program as a new tool based on the custom profile tool. In this new tool, we should have control over the ends of all beams.

Patrick
Karl Ottenstein
No problem, Patrick. I don't see why we need any new tools, though. The current column and beam tools are the right place for this - the problem is that they give zero control over end conditions. Even as of 14, after many wishes in these forums, it is impossible to get an angled beam with the beam tool that has square-cut ends - plumb cut is the only option. (And, there are all of those other options present in the GDL beams that are needed - mitering, etc.)

It's time for GS to "finish" implementing the beam and column tools IMHO, rather than introduce something special for steel.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes the beam needs to evolve as well as the custom profile manager. The reason for new tools would be to separate the steel from other custom profiles. I suppose this could be done within the profile manager using folders like we do with objects. I would love to be able to categorize my profiles into folders rather than have a gigantic laundry list of profiles. I'd have folders like Mouldings, Foundation and footings, Steel, Masonry etc.
Karl Ottenstein
phubbell wrote:
I would love to be able to categorize my profiles into folders rather than have a gigantic laundry list of profiles. I'd have folders like Mouldings, Foundation and footings, Steel, Masonry etc.
Very much agree! Matthew added folders as a sub-wish to this one:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=31083

Might be worth "bumping" that wish topic. 🙂
Learn and get certified!