BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Graphisoft's most obfuscatory press release?

After scratching my head, I could only laugh. http://www.graphisoft.com/company/press_zone/tno_in_ac.html

Can anyone translate this into something understandable?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
19 REPLIES 19
Karl Ottenstein
I'm with you, Richard! Sheesh. I went to the TNO website and found the entire site to be obfuscatory and no mention of this 'new' technology other than a duplicate of the press release. So why bother issuing a press release that says nothing?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
Richard wrote:
After scratching my head, I could only laugh. http://www.graphisoft.com/company/press_zone/tno_in_ac.html

Can anyone translate this into something understandable?
I can! currently being implemented means not in the current release

I guess we'll see something in AC12. I don't think they's issue a press release for vaporware that's any further on than that.

Oh... What it is?? Well, I guess "the consequences of changes to the building model can be directly processed by computer" means it has something to do with change tracking...
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Eduardo Rolon
Karl wrote:
I'm with you, Richard! Sheesh. I went to the TNO website and found the entire site to be obfuscatory and no mention of this 'new' technology other than a duplicate of the press release. So why bother issuing a press release that says nothing?

Karl
I think that's the point of a press release
Though I have no idea what they are talking about.

On related news; "GS upgrades the WIBU dongle so that you can plug it in your ear and with its proprietary technology it will read the ontological thoughts as they pertain to the current design project…"
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a link to an equally confusing 4Mb pdf powerpoint presentation on their site regarding BIM and PMO.

http://www.tno.nl/downloads%5CBIMatTNO.pdf

I think it would probably make more sense with the original commentary.

After quickly scanning thru it, as far as I can tell Project Modelling Ontology seems to be some kind of 'super' IFC thing where all information in a building model is linked together and connected. How it works, I don't know. Why I would need it, I don't know either.

Sadly, I lost the will to live after it starts to mention OWLS, SWOPS and GARMS in the same sentence and had to lie down for 10 mins in a darkened room. I never thought you could have so many ridiculous acronyms outside of the space industry!

Personally I'm glad to see they are focusing their limited resources on such important work. There's no point in them wasting time on frivolous tasks like developing a usable stair tool in ArchiCAD for example.
Djordje
Ace
Peter wrote:
Personally I'm glad to see they are focusing their limited resources on such important work. There's no point in them wasting time on frivolous tasks like developing a usable stair tool in ArchiCAD for example.
You forgot Worksheet!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Peter wrote:
You forgot Worksheet!
HEY! I have been using Worksheets intensely and love them. I know I could use Details for the same purpose but then all my reference files would be mixed into the details and I don't like constantly navigating long lists. Besides, how much development time could it have taken to modify the Navigator hierarchy to add another type of "Detail". They were already bifurcating the Section tool and adding the IE tool anyway. I bet the most time went into designing the new icons. 😉

I wouldn't make too much of the press release. It could be leading to something big but it seems premature to make any fuss about it. In any case I don't think there is any need to worry about GS diverting precious resources. I would guess that it's just coming along for the ride with stuff that GS is doing anyway.

I also would not expect to see anything related to this in AC12 (maybe 13). From what little I know of software development schedules I would guess that AC12 must be getting feature locked soon to go into alpha/beta testing. This thing looks too vague and probably too far in the future to have made the cut for 12.
__archiben
Booster
i couldn't help but laugh. i'm just hoping that it makes some sense to somebody.

another example of the genius behind graphisoft's marketing no doubt.

~/ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
i couldn't help but laugh. i'm just hoping that it makes some sense to somebody.
Actually it does. At least if it is what I think it is.
another example of the genius behind graphisoft's marketing no doubt.
The marketing value of the press release does seem dubious. Especially when hardly anyone can understand it.
__archiben
Booster
Matthew wrote:
Actually it does. At least if it is what I think it is.
i could wax lyrical about what i hope it means. manufacturer data + semantic web services = BIMBIGTIME. but where the hell that press release is going is anyone's guess . . .

ben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!